Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,772   Posts: 1,484,353   Online: 1207

Thread: lens cap

Shooter
    35mm

lens cap

Just got a Rolleiflex SL 35 E with 50/1.8, it was really dirty and no lenscap, I've got the body clean and almost finished with the lens. It appears to take a slide on lens cap/filter, anyone know the size and where I can get one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    B&H or Keh. As for the size, just measure the lens. I'm surprised there are no threads for a filter...

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the filter/lens cap size is threaded for standard 49mm size.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The official push-on Rollei cap shows up now and then on eBay. This lens and many of the Zeiss and Schneider lenses for the Rolleiflex SL 35 cameras have a 49mm filter thread.

You can buy generic lens caps in that size for a couple of dollars. I wouldn't pay a premium for the official Rollei cap. I think some guy wants $30 or some outrageous amount. I know he wants $250 for the hood for the 25mm Distagon. But nearly all of his prices are major ripoffs. Sorry, getting off track.

The nice thing is that you can buy a single set of 49mm filters and use them on many of the Zeiss or Schneider lenses. I think the Rolleinar lenses use a different thread size.

So, a 49mm filter will fit the 25/2.5, 28/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 85mm Sonnar and 135mm Tele-Tessar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't have any way to measure it? I think the slip-on caps are around 52mm. B&H has caps. About the time of the SL3003 they went to a cap that clips on the 49mm threads, if you want to go with the later style.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Just checked. It's a 51mm push-on. Or a 49mm generic cap with the squeezable "ears."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    You don't have any way to measure it? I think the slip-on caps are around 52mm. B&H has caps. About the time of the SL3003 they went to a cap that clips on the 49mm threads, if you want to go with the later style.
    Did a quick survey without leaving the chair: Starret 6" machinist's scale, one side in 64ths the other in 100ths; Stanley tapemeasure, inch & metric, plastic no-name 12"/30cm rule, I can't be that exceptional...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If it's 49mm, you're in luck. That's a very handy size, and you can usually get a great deal on filters and hoods. I use a 52mm to 49mm step ring on my Nikon lenses, and it works wonderfully. No vignetting on any of them wide open. Saved me a fair amount of money as I already had the filters from an old camera purchase years ago, so a step ring and hood cost me about $5 total. Very happy w/ that setup, and I think it looks a lot nicer than those huge Nikon hoods. No flare.

From what I can see, yours is a 49mm.
    Last edited by momus; 12-07-2013 at 02:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the info, I think it was the design of the lens that was throwing me. The lens has kinda like a hood over the front element and as you adjust distance the inner barrel moves in and out of the outer. I was trying 52,55, and 58 on the outer barrel, no luck. I got rid of all my 49mm stuff but found an old Pentax cap, uv filter, rubber lens hood and metal lens hood in 49mm and by putting the uv on the inner barrel protrudes out enough to use the lens cap

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin