Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,548   Posts: 1,573,035   Online: 827

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm not sure what's next since the rubber bung trick opened both of mine. Probably getting a lens wrench with points and use the two holes in the cap. I imagine with lots of downwards pressure you might be able to open it without damage. If you do damage it, it will only be cosmetic.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    wood Dowl, discarded walking up glove pair of mole grips, have three wheatabix for breakfast.

Shooter
    127 Format
    I have had OM-1 and OM-2 cameras where the advance lever cap screw got sort of "glued" to the plastic piece under it. Probably from heat and age. No matter how hard or what method I tried, the screw was not going to come off with friction.

I don't have a proper tool so I used a pair of jewelers needle nosed pliers into the holes, with a lot of force and caution and prayers to finally get those caps off.

I found that putting adhesive remover, like Goo-Gone allowed the decorative cap to come free from the screw. I am planning to stick toothpicks in the holes and spray paint those covers with black enamel. Then I can glue them back onto the screw.

Real life ain't always as easy as it shows in books, or on the web.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The OM-2 also uses the foam by the prism and will go bad and eat the prism coating. Mine had to be replaced.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It took a pair of washing-up gloves wrapped around some pliers. Whoever had had the thing off the last time had glued it back on.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just want to support this advice for every OM-1 and OM-2 owner out there - get the foam removed. Just look at my collection of damaged prisms from cameras I've repaired...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1140525.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	97668

If you don't have a spare prism, after removing the foam goo and polishing the prism, it can still be used! It may look nasty but you won't be able to tell the difference when looking through the viewfinder. All you can see is a thin hair line where the silvering ends, but only when looking in the viewfinder from distance, not when looking at the focus screen because your eye can't focus at the line!
    Olympus OM fan and amateur repairman
    always looking to buy cheap broken OM 'parts' bodies

(a.k.a. Spyderman@RFF)

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The next step would be trying to re-coat it oneself.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    The next step would be trying to re-coat it oneself.
    Not necessary total internal reflection is sufficient.
    Chip off any damaged paint, plastic Biro top tool, wipe off debris with Zippo rag, replace.
    You normally won't detect any difference.

Shooter
    35mm
    Guys,
    Is it really critical to remove this foam regardless its effect is barely tangible?
    I see in mine some minor discrepancies outside of the actual focusing area in the viewfinder and unless it would extend I do not really see a reason to run for CLA. However your thoughts are welcomed.
    Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin