Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,693   Online: 851

Shooter
    35mm

Wiped my rangefinder clear

I have an Argus C44 in which the focusing wheel gummed up solid tight. I took some Isopropyl alcohol to it and it loosened right up but it got in the rangefinder and now the rangefinding spot is basically gone. I think I can still see something moving as I focus but it is so faint that a small black square of tape over the main viewfinder window (over where the spot would be) still doesn't reveal enough movement to do anything.

Am I up the creek or is there a way to restore it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps a CLA.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    try Zippo and let it evaporate it may be coated in lube but if you wiped it you may have wiped of the half silvering.
    Some are more delicate than soft coating.
    If it is a prism parts camera
    if it is thin mirror you may be able to replace with generic
    the rule is don't touch half mirrors...
    Id not use alcohol either cept on an optic surface

Shooter
    35mm
    I have stocked up dichroic films from surplusshed. PM me and I'll send you a small piece that you may try to glue on the original RF spot.

q_x
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Isopropyl alcohol should dry by itself, making no harm. Wait a couple of days if you haven't. Grease moved with it is whole different animal, but in this case your camera only needs C from "CLA" to have the rangefinder back.
    Use the Force, Luke!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Red magic marker on the RF patch will get you back up and focusing.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    Alcohol is an enemy of that fragile half-mirror in the RF area. Instead, you should have used a bit of lighter fluid. I do not think that you will be able to restore that which is erased away permanently. You might have to use guess focus, instead. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That camera can be overhauled w/ a straight bladed screwdriver basically. I know, because it's the first camera I ever overhauled, and after a lot of false starts (make sure you mark things and/or take some pics of the focus gear relationship) it took really nice photos. Wish they had strap lugs though. Very simple camera, Just take the knobs off and whatever else is needed to take the top off, and get in there and see what's up w/ your rangefinder. Don't touch any of the mirrors if you can help it. You should be able to see what's wrong. I loved that lens mount! Every time I took the lens off it took me forever to figure out how to get it back on, and getting it off is not exactly intuitive either. Great shutter....wheeeeng!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin