Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,572   Posts: 1,545,651   Online: 976

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Mostly Point and Shoots

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11295153184_199a93cc21_b.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	375.9 KB 
ID:	78220

On Tripod: Olympus Infinity SuperZoom 330. Back Row: Nikon One Touch (L35AF2), Canon AF35ML, Canon A35F, Fujica DL-100. Front Row: Olympus OZ 150R, Olympus LT Zoom 105, Minolta Freedom Zoom 160.
    The Canon A35F is a Rangefinder based on the Canonet 28. I bought it on eBay a few years ago for $6 or $8. I bought the Olympus OZ105R new in 1999 for around $90. The rest were bought at thrift stores for $5 or less. In fact, the Minolta was $2 and the red Olympus was $1.50! All work fine.
    The Olympus SuperZoom looks like a camcorder, but it's a 35mm film autofocus camera and takes excellent photos (although slow to set up and easy to shake.) I plan to take the Nikon, Canon ML, and Fujica out for a comparison shoot. They're all non-zoom point-and-shoots from the same era.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11295153184_199a93cc21_c.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    They're cute as can be. Quite the group portrait. I'm forever looking at these things in thrift stores, but the batteries usually cost several times more than the cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Fuji DL100 was the first camera to incorporate DX coding. Only 100 and 400 ASA, though. It was also Fuji's first drop-load camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love the purple one in front. Now you've got my fingers itching again...

One of these days I'm going to have to break down and assemble my own P&S group portrait, before I re-donate the bulk of them.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Neat "Little" collection! I have a few, but not nicely displayed like yours.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks all. I usually take photos of my SLRs and Rangefinders, but I figured that I should shoot the lowly P&Ss this time.

The little red Olympus LT Zoom 105 is cool. When you flip the on-off lever, the hatch in front opens, the lens comes part way out, and the flash pops. I wear out the batteries just playing with it. It was one of the first long zoom P&S cameras and sold for $329 when new in 1997. A year later, the mechanically identical OZ-105 sold for around $100. My wife loves using the LT Zoom105.

The odd looking Olympus SuperZoom was the "proof of concept" for a lot of P&S and SLR zoom technology to follow. It was developed jointly by Olympus and Ricoh with Kyocera and Yashica in there too. They all shared patents and technology. Olympus eventually became an OEM for other manufactures' P&S cameras - especially toward the mid 90s and early 2000s. I believe that the little gold Minolta in front right was made by Olympus. Oly also made Nikon's last run of P&S film cameras.

All the zooms use CR123A batteries, and yea, they cost like $8 for one. However, you can get them online for $1.75 from Battery Station. The 3 non-zoom P&Ss in the back row all use a pair of AA batteries.

My Fujica DL-100 does not read DX coding. It has an ASA dial around the lens for 50, 100, 200, and 400. The Nikon One Touch does however, 100 & 400 only.

Shooter
    35mm
    The canon A35f is my favorite of the bunch, nice little group there! Seems like all the hipsters in my city have gravitated towards the 35mm P&S cameras and don't bother with the rangefinders, which is good for me since I can still pick them up for cheap. Seems hipsters have a way of inflating a market quickly...

Not calling you a hipster, btw, just making some observations, lol!

-Xander

Shooter
    35mm
    That's quite the grouping. I have an irrational predjuice against auto only cameras and thus have never owned any of them except an Olympus XA-2, that has now died on me. Despite that many people buy these for coffee money and not only do they work for them but take very good photos. Perhaps i should change my ways?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have an Olympus LT-1 (Leather Tech-1) that I bought for $5 from a junk bin at a camera show. I didn't know anything about it, but loved the lens cover flap. It's a neat little camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pen s View Post
    That's quite the grouping. I have an irrational predjuice against auto only cameras and thus have never owned any of them except an Olympus XA-2, that has now died on me. Despite that many people buy these for coffee money and not only do they work for them but take very good photos. Perhaps i should change my ways?
    I had the same predjudice until I found a Pentax IQzoom for $3 with an active CR123 battery in it. I hated to admit it, but the damn thing works pretty well and I now bring it along when I need a camera that can be literally picked up and the button pushed, or a camera that someone used to digithingys can use succesfully.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin