Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,411   Online: 866

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FE vs FM

Shooter
    Medium Format

FE vs FM

Hi everyone,

I am looking at buying an FM or FE as a second 35mm body. My primary 35mm camera is an FM2, but there is an FE and FM for sale locally for essentially the same price.

I'm just wondering if anyone can chime in on some advantages/disadvantages of both, mainly in terms of functionality. Here is what I know:

FM screen not interchangeable but I don't care too much about this - is it essentially the same screen as my FM2?

FE is (obviously) electronic - I will be shooting in manual pretty much always so this may actually be more of a pain (battery required for full range of shutter speeds). I assume the batteries will drain much much faster than in the FM?

Metering - FE has match needle and FM has same LEDs as FM2, correct? LEDs are better for low light and I am used to them, so maybe a slight advantage, although needle would be slightly more precise.

In terms of handling - does the FM shutter button not lock when the wind lever is pushed in? Seems like that might be a bit of a pain.

Also any difference in shutter vibration and mirror slap between the two?

And is there anything else I should be taking into account?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

FE vs FM

How much are they? FM2 go for $100 or less these days. If you really need another body get another FM2 or an F3 for not much more. Or go classic and get an F2. I love my FM2 and used to have an FE2 but the F2 is a wonder. Unbelievable build quality and feel. Well, just my useless 2 cents. :-)

Be sure to check this site for a load of info on FE and FM:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...nikonfmseries/

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...onfeseries/fe/
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The FE and FE2 have been my favorite bodies for a long time (although I should include all of the EL family as they have the same attribute). The analog shutter speed scale in the viewfinder is a very easy to use gauge of the number of stops of over or under exposure, and I no longer need to look directly at in order to know if my shutter speed is fast enough. Shooting any subjects that move, while handholding the camera benefits me with such information always available. If I use any other body, I constantly have to stop and think in order to judge the effect of the lights and numerals on the exposure. While the FM is easy to understand if the shot will be over or under exposed, it doesn't tell me by how many stops.
    There are a couple of other differences, one of which you have identified regarding the shutter release lock, but the viewfinder exposure information is paramount for the way I shoot.
    I do agree that if you're familiar with and enjoy using the FM2, you will be better off standardizing on it and not losing that 1 second of time recognizing which body is in front of you when you raise it to shoot.
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Shooter
    35mm
    The FM is pretty redundant in light of your FM2. Don't worry about batteries - they're cheap, light and small. Shutters lock when the advance lever is closed.

Unless you have a pressing need for another body now I suggest waiting for an FE2. Why? Two extra stops of shutter speed (to 1/4000), TTL flash (!), flash sync to 1/250 (vs. 1/125 for FE), flash compensation is a breeze. I have all these bodies except for the FE, which I gave away - much prefer the FE2. Prices are comparable. I've never noticed differences in shutter vibration but the FE2 has improved mirror dampening vs. FE. FE2 is the 'new and improved' FE!
    Last edited by Aja B; 12-10-2013 at 10:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you don't need auto dont get an auto.
    If you do need auto an FG is cheaper they appear in charity shops.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While the FE2 is just fine, for my money I would have the F3 if you want something auto.

Shooter
    35mm
    Not that important but the LED in the FM/FM2 are more precise than the match needles in the FE.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The FM I know nothing about. I used to have an FE though. Nice camera. But one day it up and died for no reason whatsoever. So I bought an FG for $10, since I had owned one once and liked it. The FG is small and light w/ a nice sounding shutter. I don't much like those LED readouts for the shutter speeds though. I much preferred the FE's analog swinging needle meter. In bright sun those LED's are darned hard to see.

How do you buy one for 10 bucks? You look for those ads that say that the camera doesn't work, and if the seller gives you a pic that shows that the mirror is jammed up, that's your camera. In all likelihood all you'll have to do is put fresh batteries in it, set the shutter speed dial to 'B', and try to fire it. Then put the dial to 'A' and it should fire. Replacing the foam on the top where the mirror hits is a good idea at this point, but not absolutely necessary. This little drill has worked for the last 3 FG's I've owned. Very nice (and cheap) little camera. The FE2 is a lot better, but it's a lot more money, and I also had one of those that just stopped working for no reason.
    Last edited by momus; 12-10-2013 at 08:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Not that important but the LED in the FM/FM2 are more precise than the match needles in the FE.
    Dunno about Nikons -- I shoot manual Minoltas -- but I've had both LEDs (Minolta XGs) and match needles (SRTs). I personally prefer the match needle. As you imply, the LEDs seemed more accurate (or seemed like they oughta be more accurate), but I still prefer the swinging needle.

I guess it's one of those "personal preferance" things.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bob01721 View Post
    Dunno about Nikons -- I shoot manual Minoltas -- but I've had both LEDs (Minolta XGs) and match needles (SRTs). I personally prefer the match needle. As you imply, the LEDs seemed more accurate (or seemed like they oughta be more accurate), but I still prefer the swinging needle.

I guess it's one of those "personal preferance" things.
    Didn't say more accurate. I said it's more precise. It's accurate if it's in good calibration and depends more on the sensor/circuitry than the display. But any how when the FM indicates the 0 it's within 1/5 stop. But then I didn't say which I like better either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin