Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,066   Online: 1002

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

new guy with 35mm

Well i didnt find a thread topic for introductions but id figured id include it in my first question, i just started photography and figured what the heck i'll try 35mm and try to get decent at it, i bought a canon AE-1 for 20$ with a vivitar 35-105mm lens and found out that lens is not very good, so i bought another AE-1 for 30$ with a 35-70mm 1:4 lens, so total i did not spend very much money to get started and the first AE-1 is completely restored it looks brand new,

Well my question is what lenses should i get? accessories that are good to have and other odds and ins for starters? i have yet to get any film developed trying to find the best place to get it done at (another problem i am having) and trying to find a place to restore/repair the black AE-1 in the below picture, it needs foam replaced,

any help would be awesome and thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CAM00126 (Medium).jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maybe get a prime lens or two, generally, smaller, lighter and faster than zooms, with better resolution to boot. Not to say there are not good zooms, there certainly are, but good primes are much easier to come by.

Depending on what sort of photography you do will dictate focal length, but I think a 28mm (or wider) and and 50mm covers most occasions.

For developing, if I was in the USA, I'd probably give www.precision-camera.com a go, never used them but it seems their scanning is good. I'd probably be tempted to try out NCPS too. I'm not in the USA, and have never used these labs, but they seem to have a pretty good reputation.

Which accessories are good to have will depend on your type of photography, but for me, a tripod is a must have, get a decent one and it'll last forever.

Shooter
    Large Format
    A 50mm normal lens. I see you live in NC. Go to Wallyworld and get some Fuji 200 color for cheap, and take it to CVS when you're done. It'll be kinda grainy, but still good shots. For B&W, all CVS carries is TX for 10 dollars a roll. Heck with that noise. 10 dollars, my foot. Use one of these advertisers on here for B&W developing, if you can't do it yourself. Somebody around here can develop a decent roll of film, I'd hope.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get a 28mm FDn for street/landscape photography and a 50mm FDn for portraiture. The first one is easy to focus for street candids and landscapes and bright enough with the 2.8 going for about 30 euros. The second one, cheap too at 1.8, delivers great photos especially after 4.5, and is great for portraits and photos where the wide angle distortion of the 28mm is unwanted.
    The foam is easy to do it by yourself. Get some sheet of open cell foam (1mm thick) cut it with some scissors and stick it accordingly. Also, check for the mirror cushion absorption foam near the focusing screen. If it looks deteriorated and/or sticky, replace it with a band of closed cell foam (2-3mm thick).

They both look awesome, lots of envy for the black one!

Shooter
    35mm
    Not sure why it keeps deleting my posts hopefully this one sticks, some of the stuff that came with the cameras i bought are pretty cool the first one that is in mint shape, came with OEM manuals in perfect shape for both the camera and the lens, a tiffen polarizer filter, 2nd camera came with a flash, and a roll of moovue 400 b&w film and a hoya skybright 1B filter, also will this 35-70 lens do me alright till i get used to the camera and learn it? id hate to put more money into another lens right now the specs are 35-70 F=1:4

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have a working camera (or two) and a usable lens, I wouldn't worry about any more kit until you have got several rolls of film under your belt. You will know what lenses to get when the lenses you have will not allow you to take the pictures you want to.

Personally, I use a 50mm prime and a 90mm prime for about 90% of my photography. Other people would have no use at all for those two lenses. It really does depend on your style and genre.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some FD lenses only changed in the barrel when the new true bayonet was introduced. So for these lenses the choice between new and old is mainly in the comfort of changing lenses. (true bayonet versus breech-lock).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zanxion72 View Post
    Get a 28mm FDn for street/landscape photography and a 50mm FDn for portraiture. The first one is easy to focus for street candids and landscapes and bright enough with the 2.8 going for about 30 euros. The second one, cheap too at 1.8, delivers great photos especially after 4.5, and is great for portraits and photos where the wide angle distortion of the 28mm is unwanted.
    The foam is easy to do it by yourself. Get some sheet of open cell foam (1mm thick) cut it with some scissors and stick it accordingly. Also, check for the mirror cushion absorption foam near the focusing screen. If it looks deteriorated and/or sticky, replace it with a band of closed cell foam (2-3mm thick).

They both look awesome, lots of envy for the black one!
    I totally agree with zanxion - My AE-1 is one of my favourite 35mm SLR's. Both the 28mm 2.8 and the 50mm 1.8 are cracking lenses. I would certainly recommend you grab a couple of primes (28mm and 50mm) as others have recommended and just play with 'em - you won't be disappointed!

It is easy to replace the seals and cushions on this camera. If you dig further and need the repair manual, it's available FOC from a number of online sources (I think Butkus has it listed).

I have sentimental attachment to mine, but in reality the bodies are so cheap you can easily replace them if it's FUBAR.
    Cheers,

Jim.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canon FD system is very good. Check out KEH for used lens and I think they might put foam in your camera for you.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    try this site
    http://www.ilfordphoto.com/applications/page.asp?n=24
    you should be able to get lots of kit for free or second hand if you join a photo club from people going digital

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin