Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,991   Online: 795

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Correct an extension ring is for close ups or macro photography and has nothing to do with 2x or 3x teleconverters.
    Oh thank you O Swamee of Duh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even the very best quality teleconverters still degrade the image. The greater the magnification the worse the degradation. This probably explains why they fell out of favor. They do make serviceable paperweights.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Large Format
    I had one as a teenager in the early 70's. A Vivitar 3x that I played with on my trustu Mamiya/Sekor 1000 DTL. The camera and lens alone was great. The 3x turned out to be a waste of money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I had one as a teenager in the early 70's. A Vivitar 3x that I played with on my trustu Mamiya/Sekor 1000 DTL. The camera and lens alone was great. The 3x turned out to be a waste of money.
    Me, too. Same time, same brand, but it was a 2X, on a Pentax. Same results as Tom. I remember being disappointed because, as a 14 year old, I couldn't afford a telephoto.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I say, shoot the damn thing, and you'll know. And then post some photos so that we can see, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    I say, shoot the damn thing, and you'll know.
    Definitely... Don't take our words for it. Give it a try. Even after my early 70's experience, if one fell in my lap, I'd give it a go. What I now consider a successful image is a lot different than it was then.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    One of the acessories was a 3X(!) teleconverter. A vivater, from what I heard 2X are not the greatest optics so I wonder if I use once or twice to see how it works. What sould I except?
    Sometimes when your feet can't get the camera close enough for the shot that you want, a teleconverter is a way to leverage a long lens. I have and use a Vivitar 3X with a Vivitar 75-300 mm. zoom on my Canon cameras. That combination will produce acceptable photos if held rock steady with a tripod or braced in some fashion. I try to use a fast film (ASA 400) to get a couple of the lost stops back.

You won't know until you try for yourself, so go for it.

Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks everbody for your help.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Correct an extension ring is for close ups or macro photography and has nothing to do with 2x or 3x teleconverters.
    I have a 2X convertor that the glass screws out (as a feature, not just the way it's built) and turns it into an extension ring!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I purchased my Spotmatic SP ll included along with 3 flashes, a dozen filters and several other items were 2 Kenko Auto Teleplus converters in 2X and 3X. The instructions claimed "even at open aperture there is no softening of focus or deterioration in resolving power so that two TELEPLUS units can be used in combination." A mighty bold statement I think. I never tested their theory, instead I got a small screwdriver, disassembled the innards of the 3X and now I have a 55mm meter coupled extension tube.
    Just a thought.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kenko Auto Teleplus 3X 01.jpg   Kenko Auto Teleplus 3X 02.jpg  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin