Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,254   Online: 864

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    I have a 2X convertor that the glass screws out (as a feature, not just the way it's built) and turns it into an extension ring!
    Yep, the Kiev 60/88 TCs do that too. I saw one on fleabay once being sold as a TC, but thankfully i noticed that the glass was clearly missing in the photos...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Oh thank you O Swamee of Duh.
    Well, well, guess who does not read the thread before responding ... the prince of zero and zilch Chris.

I was responding to post #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    No it is not a extension ring. I never heard of one until now.

Jeff
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Jeff - How are you?

Looks like I have the same Vivitar 3x teleconverter. There is also a 2x in the stash I inherited from my dad. Never used either of them, but I know they are also used in close-up/macro work. (I use primarily a macro bellows) You've got my curiosity sparked though so I might play with it over the holidays to see what it does. He had it epoxied from a screw mount to a smaller screw mount (step-down?) god only knows what he was doing with it. That's the way he flew with things! Let me know how it works out for you. CHEERS!
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    Not withstanding the optical loss there is the problem of holding 1200mm steady. That is 24X a 50mm lens so each tiny vibration is magnifed 24X and it is a bear to try to hold steady even on a heavy duty tripod. What in the world is anyone shooting with such a rig. Perhaps small birds at moderate distances but I think applications for that long a focal length would be very limited.

In the 70's aftermarket 2X and 3X were plentiful and even then, cheap. Mostly they were bought, used one or two times, and then banished to the bottom of the gaget bag. That is why so many old ones look like they haven't been used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by VaryaV View Post
    Hi Jeff - How are you?

Looks like I have the same Vivitar 3x teleconverter. There is also a 2x in the stash I inherited from my dad. Never used either of them, but I know they are also used in close-up/macro work. (I use primarily a macro bellows) You've got my curiosity sparked though so I might play with it over the holidays to see what it does. He had it epoxied from a screw mount to a smaller screw mount (step-down?) god only knows what he was doing with it. That's the way he flew with things! Let me know how it works out for you. CHEERS!
    I haven't heard from you in a while. I hope your works ok.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Well, well, guess who does not read the thread before responding ... the prince of zero and zilch Chris.

I was responding to post #7
    I meant to say 3X telecoverter, sorry

Jeff

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never saw a 3x tele-converter. I only learned about their existance from as test in a US photo-magazine from ca. 1970 where the 3x ended worst.
    But if one needs that effect that moment on the lens one got, the technical quality of the image is of lesser interest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, so I googled and came across this article using one of the old Vivitar 3x TC's.
    http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/article/...discovered-490

I have to say, I am rather impressed with the results.

Most of the reviews I read were negative for the 3x, but not the 2x for the reasons stated by posters above.

I realize this person tested with a d***. But, I like to tinker about a bit with my gadgets too so, needless to say, I will play with my old beat-up 3x TC over the holidays.
    Last edited by VaryaV; 12-17-2013 at 08:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin