Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,289   Online: 956

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

3X teleconverter

A number of years ago a friend of mine died of a heartattack, my father bought some of his camera and accessories from his son.
    One of the acessories was a 3X(!) teleconverter. A vivater, from what I heard 2X are not the greatest optics so I wonder if I use once or twice to see how it works. What sould I except?

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I should add I going use on it on Canon F-1 with a 400mm FD lens.

Jeff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Other than the obvious 4-stop loss of light and the need for a tripod, nothing really comes to mind. But being able to pick a pimple off a fleas but at three miles is always that should be in one's gadget bag. Just sayin'.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Expect it to be 3x longer, 3x darker, and 3x more aberrations like purple colour-fringing etc. And because of the smaller aperture even 'wide open' it'll be in the realms of where diffraction is already kicking in.
    I've used some good TCs on digital (where problems show up the worst) with no problems.
    I haven't used a 3x, but I've stacked two 2x converters (kiev brand) which will probably be worse than a single 3x.
    I've had marginally useful shots on digital with two 2x (see here and here are mine, effective 1000mm f/14).

Colour film is a little more forgiving because it's less resolution than digital, and on B+W film I've used stacked TCs occasionally with no major problems, plus you don't have to worry about the colour-fringing at all.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Actually I have never seen a 3x teleconverter. And I find that designation strange as the lesser ones are usually 1.4X and 2X which is geometric in series as are f/stops. Just find it curious, that's all.

Just asking. Sure it's not an extension ring?
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 3x teleconverters were popular in the 1960's and 1970's, but the optical loses were so great that the market disappeared.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No it is not a extension ring. I never heard of one until now.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've heard of them, seen either on fleabay, garage sale, or an 'antique' shop that sells junk for a few times more than it's worth. But never used or played around with them...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    No it is not a extension ring. I never heard of one until now.

Jeff
    Correct an extension ring is for close ups or macro photography and has nothing to do with 2x or 3x teleconverters.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even if a 3X teleconverter is of the highest optical quality, it is still magnifying just 1/3 of the frame transmitted by the lens it is attached to.

It will give you 3x the magnification though, with no change in subject distance at all.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin