Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,570   Posts: 1,545,488   Online: 1215

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just heard back from Eric. This is what he said:

What your camera may need is a pair of new mirror box springs. Or maybe just the curtain travel times have loosened up a bit. At any rate I can check it again to see where the problem might be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    I had my Spotmatic CLA'd by the Pentax guru last year. I thought it would hold up in the cold weather. WRONG. Mirror got stuck after about 20 minutes in 15 degrees.

Is this normal? What temperatures were 1970s cameras supposed to work in? What did pros do? What can I do? I'm looking for a 35mm or medium format I can use in 0-20 degree weather.
    It isn't normal. Chronometers were used, and functioned properly, in arctic conditions, in the 1840s. With animal based lubricants that were specially refined for those conditions.
    You'd be surprised what some folks think a CLA comprises, looks like yours got the Ronsonol version. Find a technician who will do it properly with the correct lubricants. I was using my Nikon F made in 1968 the other day, the thermometer read -16F.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    What pros do is have their cameras they have use in extreme cold is have them winterised by a camera repaired having all the lubricants removed and replaced with one's more suitable for the extreme cold conditions.
    15 degrees - I'm assuming Fahrenheit - is hardly extreme cold.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just heard back from Eric. This is what he said:

What your camera may need is a pair of new mirror box springs. Or maybe just the curtain travel times have loosened up a bit. At any rate I can check it again to see where the problem might be.
    Springs don't get weaker in cold, they get stiffer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eric is THE MAN in the Pentax community. He's done some good work for me before. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eric is THE MAN in the Pentax community. He's done some good work for me before. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.
    And so you should, he certainly seems willing to set things right.
    But, a freshly CLA'd camera certainly should function correctly at 15F. I CLA'd the Nikon I mentioned above about 15 years ago, using modern synthetic lubricants. So far, so good - and in a temperature 30+ degrees colder.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Eric is the gold standard when it comes to servicing Pentax cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    Eric is the gold standard when it comes to servicing Pentax cameras.
    So why doesn't the camera work as it should?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey guys. Even gold standards (which Eric most certainly is) makes a mistake once in awhile. I am pretty sure that if you talked to any of the good camera repair techs they will be able to tell you the same. That is why the good ones always tell you to return it if it doesn't work right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Hey guys. Even gold standards (which Eric most certainly is) makes a mistake once in awhile. I am pretty sure that if you talked to any of the good camera repair techs they will be able to tell you the same. That is why the good ones always tell you to return it if it doesn't work right.
    Which I pointed out above. When I repair something, the only guarantee I give is that if I make a mistake, or miss something, I will cheerfully set it right.
    In my opinion, the OP should have taken it up with the repair tech before making a thread here - and naming the tech. My posts regarding what may or may not be wrong with the camera were intended to make it clear that a properly CLA'd camera will work properly in cold weather, and that not all CLA's are equal.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 12-16-2013 at 01:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin