Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,227   Online: 904

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Myself, I don't like to haggle. Some people do, and consider it part of the fun. If someone would offer me a somewhat lesser price for something, I'd consider it. Never refuse a serious offer! On the other hand, I cheerfully ignore low ball offers. On eBait, I block those people from ever bidding on my auctions w/ no communication to them one way or the other.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If its on my want list, at a price that compares to the recent market market value for same item and quality, I will pay sticker and be happy. If it is on my some day list, then I will follow it bumping down. If it rides down to a zone I am comfortable with I PM an offer at the current offered price. I see no reason to beat the price down on a fellow member who puts the item into the forum to preserve it in the community. Occasionally I will pick something up at the 'now or it goes auction point'. Only when I think the asset needs preserved in the community.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    As someone who has bought quite a bit of stuff (photo gear, hunting & fishing gear, etc.) on both Craigslist and forums, ridiculous behavior from both buyers and sellers is not at all uncommon.

As a buyer, if I feel a seller is asking an unreasonably high sum, I generally ignore and move on. Occasionally, I might send them a PM or email with extremely polite wording, letting them know that they might have incorrectly estimated the value of their offering. The handful of times I've done this have resulted in a wide variety of responses, from a rude rebuke, to profuse thanks. Usually, I make sure I can link them to a retail sale page or something similar, to show them just how out of whack their price is (before I bought my LX7, there was a girl selling an LX5 on craigslist for $350...while an LX7 was selling for the same amount brand new).

On the buying end, I never make counter offers unless the ad specifically states that they'll entertain offers or what I'm willing to pay is close (say, within 15%) of their asking price. Usually on Craigslist, I'll accompany this with an offer to come to them as opposed to meeting halfway.

If I'm not making a counter-offer, I don't say anything unless I'm ready to buy, and when I do make that decision, I try to act as quickly and decisively as possible. Letting them know in the very first message that I want to buy, and asking about payment arrangements. I make it very clear that I am willing to pay their asking price, and that, even if I don't get back to them immediately, I can have payment to them within a short time frame (usually with an explanation of what's going on, like, "I'm leaving the office and have a dinner party, but I should be able to read and respond to any reply you send by 8pm). Basically, I want to get the transaction completed smoothly and quickly.

If the seller seems chatty, that's great too, and I've often made a bigger purchase when they casually mention that I might be interested in another product they're planning on posting soon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold View Post
    If I'm not making a counter-offer, I don't say anything unless I'm ready to buy, and when I do make that decision, I try to act as quickly and decisively as possible. Letting them know in the very first message that I want to buy, and asking about payment arrangements. I make it very clear that I am willing to pay their asking price, and that, even if I don't get back to them immediately, I can have payment to them within a short time frame (usually with an explanation of what's going on, like, "I'm leaving the office and have a dinner party, but I should be able to read and respond to any reply you send by 8pm). Basically, I want to get the transaction completed smoothly and quickly.

If the seller seems chatty, that's great too, and I've often made a bigger purchase when they casually mention that I might be interested in another product they're planning on posting soon.
    You, my friend, are my favorite buyer! I do the same too. A buyer once told me I've won on a sale over another because I was very descriptive and helpful in my email replies.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think there's a few factors here that I'd like to comment on.

First a communication issue, which on a place like this many people only login once a day, and check the messages reply and then leave, so if they're trying to buy a lens and I say I would like this lens but I'd like more information on it what is the price or would you ship to this place, and in the meantime other people are contacting the same seller and/or buyer and saying oh I'll take it right now should the seller wait to answer the questions of that person, or should he sell it to the person who is actively ready to buy at that moment. It's really a factor of being polite versus being business savvy. And Innoway it's a version of what is polite for now versus what was considered polite in the past, I think that the older generation believe in taking your time and expect people to be honorable, but the new generation sort of are more trained to simply sell to the first purchaser and not wait and be polite to those who have already been in discussion about something. However, after having bought and sold a bunch on here, I've learned that people often disappear even sometimes when they seem honorable, and so you kind of have to just sell to the first person that comes along otherwise you end up with A lot of waiting, and often disappointment when that person disappears and the other buyers who came after and had the money were not willing to wait and bought the item somewhere else.

On the second note about price, often times I see things on here that are valued way higher than I would expect to pay, and also things that are of average price, and things that are low priced.

If I see something that's really high and it sits for a long time, sometimes I will contact the buyer and suggest that they lower their price and give them information as to why any private message, I think that this is at least a little fair, some people might be angry at this, but it also is sort of unfair to ask someone to pay for something that is way higher than it should be.

There's also the aspect of what the "common asking price" is of something versus it's actual value, often times lenses for example are available at a given price and everyone knows that Exline's sells for $600 and that's the asking price for almost everyone, but there happened to be a surplus of those lenses out there and so why would I pay the same exact price when there are so many lenses available why shouldn't I suggest to the seller hey I'll pay $500 instead because I know that it's a supply and demand situation and why should I pay more when I can pay less, if the $600 range were truly the asking price there wouldn't be so many out there because people would have bought them already, so it shows that for the value they are overpriced in this given market buyers and sellers etc. That's how I see it anyway.

So yeah I will send someone a lowball offer if there's tons of the same item available at the same price obviously that's not a very good price or they all would be sold...

I also personally hate paying shipping, and I think it's sort of funny when people who sell in the US only refuse to eat the $12 shipping cost on a $600 item, it's like a little stab wound for me, so I always offer $600 even with something like that. And no I'm not paying your PayPal fees either, if you choose to use PayPal then you should except the fees involved in the protection that PayPal gives you and not try to weasel it out of your buyer, I also find that insulting. I know it's all perspective, you could easily build that into the price of the initial item, but I think it's just really annoying when they try to build it into the additional costs afterwards.

Not sure I covered everything but these are some of my thoughts.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    On CL, when I sell, I try to offer it in a first contact first offer method. If they don't reply at all after the initial email reply, maybe in a day or two, I offer it to the next person I emailed. When I do get that 2nd, 3rd, etc email, I tell them, someone emailed me before them and if they don't reply by a certain time, it's theirs.

Paypal fee? Well, same could be said about the shipping. You're the buyer, you're responsible for the shipping to YOU, you eat it.

$600 item? Oh yeah, shipping is included... or maybe it's a $612 item with free shipping.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    should the seller wait to answer the questions of that person, or should he sell it to the person who is actively ready to buy at that moment. It's really a factor of being polite versus being business savvy
    I disagree.

From the seller's point of view, they're saying, "I have this item for sale. Who wants it?"...he has one reply that asks a question and one reply that says "I'll take it."...that's a no-brainer. The first reply is making conversation, while the second reply is actively engaging you in the transaction process.

This is why, as a buyer, it's important to make your intentions abundantly clear.

In that same situation, if I were the first responder, and I seriously was planning on buying the item provided the answer to that one question meets my expectations, my first PM would read more as, "Hi, I'd like to buy the 1978 Canikon Widget XW you posted for sale, provided you can confirm that the automatic meat slicer appendage still works. If so, I can arrange your PayPal transfer as soon as I get confirmation, but if that doesn't work, I'm afraid I'm not interested, as I plan to use the Widget XW in my flying deli."

Just asking, "Does the meat slicer appendage still work?" doesn't even mention the possibility of transaction, where the fuller reply above makes it very clear.

As a seller, if I got that full inquiry, then minutes later, a second PM that says, "I'll take it.", I'd likely respond to the second caller, "Thanks for your interest. I already have a prospective buyer who contacted me first, but if that arrangement falls through, you're next in line!"

I also personally hate paying shipping, and I think it's sort of funny when people who sell in the US only refuse to eat the $12 shipping cost on a $600 item, it's like a little stab wound for me, so I always offer $600 even with something like that. And no I'm not paying your PayPal fees either, if you choose to use PayPal then you should except the fees involved in the protection that PayPal gives you and not try to weasel it out of your buyer, I also find that insulting. I know it's all perspective, you could easily build that into the price of the initial item, but I think it's just really annoying when they try to build it into the additional costs afterwards.
    This is highly subjective. I never take offense at the way a seller has constructed the transaction...the fees and details are no different from the price, in my eyes. If I find the whole enchilada unacceptable, I don't respond.

If the seller doesn't indicate that their terms are firm, I may counter-offer that I'm willing to buy right now, IF they pick up the fees (or on CL if they're willing to come to me), but that's only in rare cases.

That all being said, I *do* however, find it completely objectionable for a seller from CL I'm meeting in person to try to change the terms of the agreement once we meet...with the hope that since I've already put this much effort into the deal, that I'll just grin and bear it.

I've only had this happen a handful of times, but each time, I've stood my ground...once even resulting in a no-deal for an item I'd driven nearly 90 minutes to buy. In most cases though, they're just trying for more money, but will settle for the agreed upon terms. I had a guy sell me a flash for like $200...but he didn't specifically say that the gels in the picture were included. At the meetup, he said the gels would be an extra $50, so I said 'keep em'. Another time, the pics of a lens had no filter shown, but at the meetup, there was a UV filter mounted. Eventually the seller mentioned that the filter was too big for her other lenses, so she was throwing it in...for another $40. So I unscrewed it and handed it back to her. She argued that she had no use for it, and I responded that that wasn't in any way something I should have to pay for, and that forcing me to buy it would result in a no-deal...so she took it back.

It's about respect...you can stay firm, negotiate, and drive a hard bargain without disrespecting the other party.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought my Omega D6 off of Craigslist.

I negotiated a price reduction before my wife and I went to see it.

When I got there, the seller was so happy to sell it to someone who was going to use it, she through in a whole bunch of additional darkroom equipment and chemistry that wasn't even mentioned in the ad.

When I handed the envelope of money too her, she wasn't even going to count it until my wife and I insisted.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Everybody hates shipping costs. I weigh my items on a postage scale and get the exact costs correct or even mail items flat rate. People still ding me on my shipping costs on Ebay.

If I sell something for $500.00, sure I'll offer free shipping. There is no way though that I'm going to eat $12.00 in shipping on a $20.00 item.

Shooter
    Large Format
    There are some interesting comments here, but I would like to discuss shipping…

If you buy online from a retail store, don’t you expect to pay fair shipping costs? Imagine calling KEH and saying, “I’ll buy that lens, but you’ll have to pay my shipping costs.” Even on a $20 item.

On the other hand, I know how much it costs to ship an item, and I refuse to buy from someone who purposely inflates shipping costs. More than once on Ebay, I have emailed a seller and said, “I will buy your product, but the USPS can ship it for xxx, so could you charge me xxx for shipping?” In almost every case, the seller will agree.
    —Eric

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin