Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,941   Posts: 1,585,710   Online: 1060
      
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
  1. #1
    mweintraub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    633

    OT: People who buy?

    I wasn't sure where to put this to get some good feedback, but I was wondering if potential buyers are like those on Craiglist. Do they PM the sellers with some outrageous low ball offers? I understand if the seller is asking way too high, but on a moderately priced item.

    No, I'm not trying to sell items by avoiding to subscribe! Yes, I'll probably get a subscription soon.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,686
    When I price something to sell, I always leave a little room to dicker. When I buy something, unless it's a real firesale price I try to negotiate a bit. If the seller won't budge, and the item is priced fairly, I usually take it. I do not make ridiculous lowball offers, and if the seller says something like "$40 firm", I either buy it or I don't.
    I think a lot of those lowballers are looking to flip the item on feepay or similar sites, something I never have and never will do.

  3. #3
    BradS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    S.F. Bay Area, California
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,084
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mweintraub View Post
    Do they PM the sellers with some outrageous low ball offers? I understand if the seller is asking way too high, but on a moderately priced item..
    That has not been my experience here. In fact, it is usually quite the opposite. If an item is priced even a little too high, then it is mostly ignored. You can even beg for offers and not get any....especially if the original asking price is unrealistically high.

  4. #4
    BradS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    S.F. Bay Area, California
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,084
    Images
    1
    What I do find really annoying however is the ever larger number of folks who PM and say they will buy but, never follow through with the paypal payment. There are also many who seem to dither too long and miss a well priced item and then get all upset because the seller chose to sell to the buyer who came first with payment.

  5. #5
    mweintraub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    633
    Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm getting sick of the 40-50% below asking prices offers. It really took me too long to sell a Nikon 50mm 1.4D. I've got some more gear to sell so I'll be posting it here when I subscribe. Thanks.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hartford, Connecticut USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    398
    Buyer's market -- and you have a lot of people here who have a pretty keen idea of the market prices of equipment. But by the same token I've never seen anyone publicly post to an ad telling the person that his pricing is out of whack -- which might be a helpful thing to do.

    Regarding one of the comments from BradS, if I contact a seller and have an exchange with him, darned right I'll be annoyed if he then sells it to someone else without telling me he intends to do so, or doesn't at least say that he's entertaining other offers. That's simple courtesy.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Merritt View Post
    Buyer's market -- and you have a lot of people here who have a pretty keen idea of the market prices of equipment. But by the same token I've never seen anyone publicly post to an ad telling the person that his pricing is out of whack -- which might be a helpful thing to do.

    Regarding one of the comments from BradS, if I contact a seller and have an exchange with him, darned right I'll be annoyed if he then sells it to someone else without telling me he intends to do so, or doesn't at least say that he's entertaining other offers. That's simple courtesy.
    Nick, some forums (the US LF forum, for example) have rules that prohibit posts telling a seller that its asking price is ridiculous. APUG might have a similar rule.

    In general, it seems best not to interfere with attempts to sell.

    I don't buy much gear anymore. The last item I bought via APUG was a very rare lens that I thought I could use and that seemed -- I could have been mistaken -- grossly underpriced. I saw it, did a little looking around, sent the seller a PM to the effect of "I'll buy it. I'd like to pay by PayPal. My address is ... Tell me how much to pay and how PayPal knows you." He replied with a question "Do you think I set the price too low?" "Yes, I do, otherwise I wouldn't have offered to buy. If you want off the hook, you're off the hook." He sold it to me for the posted price, shipped at his cost. Daniel Stone is on my permanent good list.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,068
    In the camera world there are three prices: the eBay price, the KEH price, and the oops price. Ebay shows what the market value is, at least for very popular items. KEH often has prices way above eBay norms, but folks still buy from them because of their guarantee (even though they don't actually test the items they sell). And then there are the prices that are way too low or way too high. Oops. Sometimes the low prices work because the seller just wants it gone. The high prices get dismissed.

    All the items I've bought here were fairly priced, and that's the way it should be. Nuff said.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post

    In general, it seems best not to interfere with attempts to sell.

    I 100% agree with you, Dan. Most likely you will just p*ss them off.



    I only tell people what something is worth if they ask me. Sometimes even then they get aggravated. When the item doesn't sell they will find out that they are asking too much.

    I sell a bit on Ebay and have people ask me to end auctions early all the time for some low ball price. I just politely reply no and thank them for their interest. Life is too short to get aggravated about it.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    In the camera world there are three prices: the eBay price, the KEH price, and the oops price. Ebay shows what the market value is, at least for very popular items. KEH often has prices way above eBay norms, but folks still buy from them because of their guarantee (even though they don't actually test the items they sell). And then there are the prices that are way too low or way too high. Oops. Sometimes the low prices work because the seller just wants it gone. The high prices get dismissed.

    All the items I've bought here were fairly priced, and that's the way it should be. Nuff said.
    +1
    And I'll add that they were priced fairly or better & honestly described - and the folks I've dealt with have been a pleasure to deal with.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin