Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,096   Online: 865

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nikon FM3A

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nicole,
    You may want to consider the Nikon F3. It's built like a tank, but it's not a large camera. I don't have big hands and I find the camera to be very ergonomic. The aperature priority mode has been indispensable for me. The camera-metered exposures are usually dead on. If you get the high eyepoint viewfinder then you should have no problem with the left eye since you can be about an inch away from the viewfinder and still see the entire frame. It also has 100% frame coverage. I believe the FM series have like 92% or something. The only disadvantage I can see for the F3 is that the flash synch is 1/60.

I would have to say that the sound that the woman was complaining about was the motor drive. Shutters really aren't THAT loud. You could always go digital and hear no sound, but you don't want to do that.
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nicole I had a little trip out earlier (escaped) and got my hands on the FM3a, it was bootiful and had a wonderful feel to it. In fact it had much of the feel that I miss with having the F100. I think I'm in lust again and it's a good job I didn't have the cash on me or I would have an addition to my family

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi everyone, what great input. Wow! OK, I'm getting confused now. Too many options, it's like a little kid in a lollyshop and not enough pennies for the one she really wants. LOL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Nicole, I have owned an FM3A for 3 years now, great little camera, it has never let me down, certainly quieter than the F100 my brother in law has.

Mick

Shooter
    35mm
    I hope I dont get stoned for saying this on APUG but honestly the best camera for a wedding is a dSLR *LOL* A wedding is a non repeatable event. When I take pictures I want to make sure I can preview the shots.

If i have to use 35mm, I'd use something with a fast autofocus and automatic functions. I usually shoot in Aperature Priority. The last thing I want to do is juggle the guests, and fiddle with the camera.

Manual is fine for artsy shots where you have all the time in the world to get your settings right. But in a high pressure event like wedding photography, you just wanna concentrate on getting it done fast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My "fast" camera is an old Nikon FM with a prime lens (50mm f1.4, 135mm f2.8, etc.). Sorry, can't get behind digital, but I don't do weddings.

Az - "Let he who is without guilt, cast the first stone"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole McGrade
    ...I shot a wedding the other day the shutter release and rewind were so distracting that the brides mother actually commented on the noise my cameras made after the ceremony!!! She's lucky I didn't pull out the Hasselblad for the ceremony.
    If I was shooting that wedding I would have said this:

"Do ya want the photos or not!? Your crying and weeping during the ceremony was more annoying!"

I hate people who cannot respect photogs they have hired themselves.

Sorry I ranted

Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AzRaeL
    If i have to use 35mm, I'd use something with a fast autofocus and automatic functions. I usually shoot in Aperature Priority. The last thing I want to do is juggle the guests, and fiddle with the camera.
    Also lets face it how many of us reach for the XP2 when we have to shoot weddings? Easy to use, don't have to worry about the lattitude and there's the nice friendly pro lab that will handle all the post-shoot work.

Nicole maybe you shouldn't have used the shoulder of the brides mother as a camera support for that shoot

Shooter
    35mm
    make no mistake, shooting a wedding isn't an Artsy photoshoot. It's work.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've owned an FM3A for over two years and love it! I bought a new 50mm lens and several used prime lenses. I'm no expert by any means, but I have noted one minor drawback to the FM3A - it does not have mirror lockup! I can't say that I used it often with my previous camera, but it would occasionally be useful.

Dave

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin