Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,312   Posts: 1,536,661   Online: 812

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Additional suggestions:
    Work out more
    Cut back on caffeinated beverages or alcohol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Cut back on ... alcohol
    WTF!!!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm assuming you're already using a tripod. If not, that's the first step. Second, if you already are using a tripod, try a gimbal head for your long lens - the camera/lens combo will mount to the gimbal head via the lens' tripod mounting block, and the whole assembly will be mounted at more or less the balance point, instead of at one extreme, which will tend to induce vibration and motion.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by franknepomuceno View Post
    I would attach a monopod under the camera and stake the monopod into the ground. Or use another tripod under the camera using 2 of the legs.
    That's what I would advise as well. I think there are some commercial products (like the manfrotto 359 long lens support) that brace the camera against the legs of the tripod itself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I'm assuming you're already using a tripod. If not, that's the first step. Second, if you already are using a tripod, try a gimbal head for your long lens - the camera/lens combo will mount to the gimbal head via the lens' tripod mounting block, and the whole assembly will be mounted at more or less the balance point, instead of at one extreme, which will tend to induce vibration and motion.
    Actually, the theory that the exact balance point will allow vibrations to resonate for a longer period, so most long lenses are designed with the tripod mount slightly in front of or behind the balance point.

More information here:

http://www.tripodhead.com/

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/r...II-Review.aspx
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Additional suggestions:
    Work out more
    Cut back on caffeinated beverages or alcohol
    A six-times weekly workout is the norm for me and has been for almost two decades (I am both a 24 Hour of Adrenalin ((solo)) alumnus as well as a ((solo)) Death Race alumnus). Cutting back on coffee is a no-go; my typical work days (5X12 hours with an additional 8 hour day often thrown in for "good measure" - perhaps why I am so selfish/short tempered when it comes to my leisure?) require I stay jacked and focussed. As for alcohol? I doubt I spend more than $200.00 a year on the stuff (morning comes too early!). I think, Brian, the solution to the unsteady lens issue is to be remedied in the choice/modification/customization od equipment...
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    A six-times weekly workout is the norm for me and has been for almost two decades (I am both a 24 Hour of Adrenalin ((solo)) alumnus as well as a ((solo)) Death Race alumnus). Cutting back on coffee is a no-go; my typical work days (5X12 hours with an additional 8 hour day often thrown in for "good measure" - perhaps why I am so selfish/short tempered when it comes to my leisure?) require I stay jacked and focussed. As for alcohol? I doubt I spend more than $200.00 a year on the stuff (morning comes too early!). I think, Brian, the solution to the unsteady lens issue is to be remedied in the choice/modification/customization od equipment...
    I stand corrected and should have prefaced my comment with, "When I'm feeling unsteady holding a camera I ought to consider...".

But seriously, I have been an avid user of monopod or tripod on all cameras for many years. They help a lot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin