Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,891   Online: 1144

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You have a good budet, and have received some good advise... but perhaps you should back up one step and think about what you REALISTICALLY plan on using hte camera for since the choice of camera is quite dependent upon what you plan to use it for. In terms of an all-round, do-everything camera I would suggest the 35mm SLR option.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulDK View Post
    Regular rod:
    By the way, if I decide I want to make gallery size images, is 35mm too small or should I go for the medium format?
    You'd need 4X5 or bigger for that.

Kidding aside, look for an older EOS film camera so you can potentially use your existing lenses and spend 900 on film...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Kidding aside, look for an older EOS film camera so you can potentially use your existing lenses and spend 900 on film...
    750 on film, spend the rest on a tripod so your negs are good enough so you can enlarge big if/when you want.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    750 on film, spend the rest on a tripod so your negs are good enough so you can enlarge big if/when you want.
    Tiltalls go for under $100. And the Tiltall will hold up most 4x5s.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When buying a new system, lenses should be a big factor in your decisions. Not only the quality, but the cost. What do you shoot? What do you want to shoot? Will you be having a continuous budget where you can get lenses in the future? For example, maybe you can get a Leica with one lens now, and pick up some more later.

Also, What type of camera do you like shooting? Do you think you'd be fine with the rangefinder of the Leica Ms?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In 35mm, good glasss would be my concern. Given that I've consumed the Olympus OM kool aid, I'd probably get an OM 4T with 50mm high number f1.4, a 24mm f2.8 and 85mm f2. Amen to the tripod and tiltall might be a good choice on a budget. You would not be disappointed with the Zuiko glass. Bill Barber

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Remember, the best camera is the one you have with you when you need it, and when you take that shot, there is nothing between the lens and film except air. Some of the images I have been most pleased with recently have been taken on a 1953 zeiss folder with a plain triplet lens. Go figure.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would also suggest factoring in a CLA or at least routine maintenance service for any used camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you very much for your great input guys, I really appreciate it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    Remember, the best camera is the one you have with you when you need it, and when you take that shot, there is nothing between the lens and film except air. Some of the images I have been most pleased with recently have been taken on a 1953 zeiss folder with a plain triplet lens. Go figure.
    Yep. I do have a Leica and summicron, but Olympus mju is always in my bag, because it is so small and lightweight with very good lens (both 3.5 and 2.8 version), and if it gets stolen or broken - I don't care.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin