Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,267   Posts: 1,534,351   Online: 812

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    A good old Rolleiflex will cost you 1/3rd of your budget. Esp., there is one for sale right now here in For Sale section. Rest of your money can go for film, light meter, bag, tripod and monopod.

If Rolleiflex, then accessories like Rolleifix, Rolleinar and some filters will give you complete shooting experience.
    Last edited by baachitraka; 12-20-2013 at 11:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    A good old Rolleiflex will cost you 1/3rd of your budget. Esp., there is one for sale right now here in For Sale section. Rest of your money can go for film, light meter, bag, tripod and monopod.

If Rolleiflex, then accessories like Rolleifix, Rolleinar and some filters will give you complete shooting experience.
    And any Rollei will give image quality that will put any Leica to shame - by a very large margin. Important if you wish to make large prints.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    any Rollei will give image quality that will put any Leica to shame - by a very large margin.
    (huh?) Can you please elaborate on this? I sincerely do not understand this assertion. (or is this meant to be a tongue-in-cheek comment?)

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Important if you wish to make large prints.
    ....unless by "image" you mean "final print that uses the whole 6x6 negative"...and by "any Rollei" you mean "any medium format Rollei"

(ignore for a moment that Rollei also made/sold 35mm cameras and lenses...and IIRC, 16mm spy cameras too?.)

Surely, if you cut a 24x36 mm area from a medium format Rollei negative the resulting print would/could be favorably comparable to that from a 35mm Leica...no?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Nikon F100 (I have 3 of them) and quite satisfied with what it can do. Paired with good lenses, they give me excellent results.

I also have a large Medium format camera set (Mamiya RB) but F100 is my go-to camera unless I need the extra quality only RB can provide.

Since I do both film and digital, I quite like the fact my F100 and other bodies pretty much share the same control that I am so accustomed to. Perhaps that will be a factor for you. I am not sure if Canon film cameras can share the same lens as your other bodies.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    My 2 cents:

SLR: Nikon F

Rangefinder: either Leica M2 or IIIc/f

Medium format: Rolleiflex or Hasselblad 500c

Any of those will fit well into your budget of $1000 with plenty to spare... I own every single one of those cameras and have probably only spent $1500 combined. They all have quirks - my recommendation would be to learn what the quirks are and see if you can live with them. If you can't, you'll wind up not wanting to use the camera as much and will have a very expensive paperweight...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    (huh?) Can you please elaborate on this? I sincerely do not understand this assertion. (or is this meant to be a tongue-in-cheek comment?)

....unless by "image" you mean "final print that uses the whole 6x6 negative"...and by "any Rollei" you mean "any medium format Rollei"

(ignore for a moment that Rollei also made/sold 35mm cameras and lenses...and IIRC, 16mm spy cameras too?.)

Surely, if you cut a 24x36 mm area from a medium format Rollei negative the resulting print would/could be favorably comparable to that from a 35mm Leica...no?
    It's not an assertion but an iteration of a well-known principle, that is all other things being roughly equal the bigger the negative the better the print. For a given print size, let's say 16x20, the difference beween a print made with a 35mm negative and one made with a MF negative is huge. The OP mentioned he might want to make large prints, for this he will be better served by any Rollei over any 35mm camera.

"....unless by "image" you mean "final print that uses the whole 6x6 negative"...and by "any Rollei" you mean "any medium format Rollei"

Did you notice the context of my post?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Rolleiflex is a pretty nice camera, even an old one. I managed to find a Rolleiflex Automat K4B from about
    1954 for $150.00.

I had Harry Fleenor give it a good CLA and install a Maxwell screen in it. I use the thing
    often now, probably as much or more than my Hasselblad.

Might be worth investigating, there are lots around.

Well within your $1000.00.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Paul Goutiere. Nice to know that I can get decent gear within my budget.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Even if you "splurge" on a Rolleiflex3.5 or 2.8 (C,D, or E) you can find one for under $650, and factor in another $300 or so for CLA and Maxwell screen, and you're still under your budget. Finding one like that will take a little time and patience, shopping on Ebay for it, but it can be done. I've done it, twice in fact.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Even if you "splurge" on a Rolleiflex3.5 or 2.8 (C,D, or E) you can find one for under $650, and factor in another $300 or so for CLA and Maxwell screen, and you're still under your budget. Finding one like that will take a little time and patience, shopping on Ebay for it, but it can be done. I've done it, twice in fact.
    The Maxwell screen is a real good idea. The original screen is a little dark. A Leica could be the nicest bit of kit you could ever wish to own, but they are a tad
    expensive and it is really nice to have a larger negative like the Rollei will give you.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin