Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,051   Online: 1106

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Konstruktor advice

Happy Christmas all APUGers. One of my Christmas presents was a Konstruktor camera. I haven’t built it yet, but wondered if anyone can give any advice about making? Also, I have a Leitz bayonet to screw adaptor ring which I have never used and I was wondering if I could modify the build of the Konstruktor camera to include this, and thus use my f3.5 Elmar with it?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Rather than butcher a Leitz bayonet to LTM adaptor, look for a LTM lens flange online. It ought to be cheaper than the value of anything branded Leitz.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Use a craft knife, like X-Acto, to separate the parts from the matrix. Not from experience with this specific kit, just generally good "model-making" practice.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Rather than butcher a Leitz bayonet to LTM adaptor, look for a LTM lens flange online. It ought to be cheaper than the value of anything branded Leitz.
    I wondered if I could fit it without having to butcher it and Bill thanks for the craft knife tip.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Building the Konstructor is very easy, assuming your instructions that came with it are correct. Mine were printed out of order and I had to get proper ones online.

It goes together pretty easily. As Bill said, use a knife to remove parts to make sure they are cleany removed, file off rough edges, etc.

What I suggest is that you've you've assembled it, you take it apart and put it back together again once or twice, that seems to "loosen up" the parts a bit. I had to use some silicon lube on a few moving parts to make it work well. And I took a fine grit nail file and very gently sanded many of the parts edges so they moved smoother.

My experience with it... The viewfinder can be dim and difficult to focus, but once you learn the zones, you can hand focus without too much effort or using the viewfinder. Film advance can be flaky and the sprockets that advance the film will eat thinner based films, so try to stick to thicker ones. It does help a little if you gently file the advance sprockets teeth edges to take off any sharp edges. And the lube above helps inside on plastic against plastic moving parts in the film advance and take up area. When taking, make sure your finger isn't in the way of the mirror release when you hit the shutter or you'll hold it up and the exposure will be off. I struggle with that every time since I hold it and my hand always end up on that mirror release switch. The film counter dial is useless, it just spins on its own, so you will want to try and keep your head wrapped around what frame you are on, when advancing noting the amount of turn per shot and listening for the "click" that the sprocket inside makes when it's reached the next frame. Since the advance system doesn't always stop when it should, you can easily pass 2-4 exposures before you snap a shot again if you don't.

I found that you can make it much more fun by holding filters, diopters etc against the lens when snapping shots. And that the exposure system on it is much more forgiving then most of the Lomography cameras. To me the shots from it are way nicer and brighter then with the Holga.

I really like the pics it takes and I want to try and use the lens on something else with a more reliable advance. I had fun putting it together, then rebuilding to "clean up and fix" the quirks.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know if we are allowed to link outside of this site. So this may not work. Here's a pretty useful conversation on Flickr about the film advance issues and some of the workarounds and hints/tips for the issue if you wish to look at them. They may help with your assembly and use of the Konstructor.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/konstru...7638631411153/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you Alienmeatsack, that information is very useful. Do you know where would I get silicon lube?

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Cliveh,

I found something funny , silicon lubes used as condom lubes and you can buy from apotheke I guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Condom lubes are water based and will dry out quickly, hence not a good thing for your project. Using silicon lube in a condom might have some unintended medical consequences.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Konstruktor advice

Actually, many new modern intimate lubricants are indeed silicone-based. They're thinner and slicker than water-based lubes, and resist drying out. I don't know enough about machinery to know if they could replace machine oil or such, but I've used them before to lubricate external parts, like lens mounts, to ensure they don't jam up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin