Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,419   Online: 1026

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I take it the OP lives in Germany so I cannot advise about used prices in Europe. Hewever in the US KEH is a good standard for used prices and an EX condition 1-4 screen is $25 and a BGN OM-1md body is $56 so $81 plus shipping for people in this country.

I completely understand limited budgets. Retired and on a fixed income I have to save carefully to afford film. Fortnately I do not shoot a lot of frames anymore and am exploring 4X5 (after finding 6 4X5 DDS holders for $5 at a garage sale) with a homemade plywood box sporting a gifted 130mm f7.7 Kodak Anastigmat and using photo paper as a negative. All in all fairly cheap compared to 4X5 film.

Finally, I really wish grommi well on his search. Sometimes finding the best possible solution within a limited budget can bring out a great deal of inventiveness and provide many a day of pleasureable activity in out shared hobby.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's what I would do (in fact I did it years ago). Get a Spotmatic SL (no meter) and put a Nikon F screen in it. Yes it will fit. Yes 90% of the repairmen will tell you they won't fit. But they do. In the 70's you could get replacement screens put into your Spotmatic by sending it into Honeywell. They used Nikon screens!

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ff2screens.htm

In the late 70's early 80's I had a Nikon E screen put into one of my Spotmatics (I had 9 Spotmatic bodies at the time). I also had a P Apollo screen put into my Spotmatic SL (which I still have).

Ebay is full of Nikon F & F2 screens.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you all very much for the help and encouragement. A Spotmatic with a Nikon screen, that sounds compelling. Now I have some ideas how the jouney could go on.

Have a good new year everybody - grommi

Shooter
    35mm
    The Pentax MX / LX cameras had several screens available. They're K-mount of course but can accommodate M42 lenses with an adapter. I changed the screen in my MX to one with a circle and grid (SG-30838.) There was no split screen center, just a printed grid and circle on a matte glass. Unfortunately, these are very hard to find nowdays - even on eBay. Even more unfortunately (for me anyway,) I sold my MX in 1985.

Here's a link to Pentax MX / LX screens: http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/misc/foc...ens/index.html (with thanks to APUG member Les Sarile for the original link.)

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't care much for the low finder brightness of most M42 mount bodies. Even though I give up auto diaphragm control I use M42 lenses more often with other cameras like Minolta X-700s or Canon F-1s. The Minolta X-700 had interchangeable focusing screens but they are very hard to find. I keep a grid screen in one and a plain matte screen in another. The rest all have the standard screen. An X-700 is often found in non-working cndition because of the capacitors but that's easy to fix or get fixed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by aoresteen View Post
    Here's what I would do (in fact I did it years ago). Get a Spotmatic SL (no meter) and put a Nikon F screen in it. Yes it will fit. Yes 90% of the repairmen will tell you they won't fit. But they do. In the 70's you could get replacement screens put into your Spotmatic by sending it into Honeywell. They used Nikon screens!

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ff2screens.htm

In the late 70's early 80's I had a Nikon E screen put into one of my Spotmatics (I had 9 Spotmatic bodies at the time). I also had a P Apollo screen put into my Spotmatic SL (which I still have).

Ebay is full of Nikon F & F2 screens.
    I have a 2nd Pentax SL in chrome and on my to-do list is to have a Nikon E screen put into it. I've been waiting until it needs service and so far it's been 7 years and still no sign of issues requiring a CLA.

My SL bodies:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pentax SL 2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	79292

The black body is highly modified: Nikon P screen, Ritz rubberized covering, Pentax LX lower front strap lugs added, Leica Screw-Over cable release, and a film reminder holder on the back.

The chrome body is pure stock.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin