Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,419   Online: 858

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

M42 SLR with simple ground glass screen?

Hi everybody, Im looking for such a M42 SLR. The Zenit B has such a ground glass screen, but I would prefer a camera less bulky. The ground glass screen without split image or microprisms is important for me to judge the real depth of field. Please don't recommend expensive pro cams with interchangable screens, I need M42 without adapters and a Zenit goes for 20 bucks. Please don't recommend other systems than M42, I know what I want but have no overview about the M42 cameras. No split image, no microprism, no fresnel, I want simple plain ground glas. Prism viewfinder is a must and mirror lock-up is welcome. Exposure meter is not necessary but also welcome.

Thanks in advance and best regards

Reinhold
    Last edited by grommi; 12-25-2013 at 06:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a Pentax S3 which I paid a little higher than you paid for the Zenit B as $40 with the f/1.8 lens. I don't think it has either microprism or split image but not sure it fits your need.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I cannot think of any SLR that had no focusing aid in the center, with the M42 mount. Even the relatively lowly Pentax H1a had a central microprism! Focusing aids were pretty standard, and SLRs with interchangeable screens sometimes offered plain groundglass focus screens as options.

Shooter
    Multi Format

M42 SLR with simple ground glass screen?

I think the Praktika might have one, or some models of Praktika anyway.

EDIT: Google says no, but maybe interchangeable screens were available?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Early Prakticas are the go, the FX3 would be a good bet.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The early Prakticas - FX1, FX2 and FX3 - have only a ground glass screen. They also lack a prism and have only waist-level viewfinders. There is available a pentaprism accessory. The view through it is very dark.

Shooter
    Large Format
    A Pentax Spotmatic has a rather small microprism center and the rest being gg. But I'm failing to see why one would think it hampered DOF preview anyway.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You can only judge depth of field if the camera or lens offers stop down use.
    The presence or absence of a micro prism or range finder is irrelevant as they just go black
    a Fresnel outer is better as you can still see an image
    you need to clarify your requirement
    eg a COSINA CSL will stop down any auto M42 lens and you can view depth of field but has a microprism spot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Pentax H1a and never used to have a problem seeing the DOF preview. The only reason I do now (and not a big problem seeing it) is that I've been shooting 4x5 more and it's easier to see it there. Whatever screen it has is the least annoying screen I've used. I have a couple with split image ones and they drive me bonkers.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I re-read the original note. The earliest SLRs (Contax, later renamed Pentacon) had a pentaprism and a simple ground glass viewing screen. However, these are sometimes seen as collectibles. You must check the shutter curtains for pinholes and also to see if the camera works. The view can be very dim. There is no depth of field preview. Just stop down the lens, using the M/A switch, if the lens has one.

These cameras do not have mirror lockup, although if you tap on the shutter release lightly, it will lock up the mirror.

By the way, the Contax that I mention here is the East German Contax made not long after the end of World War II and is not the Yashica/Kyocera Contax that was made in Japan. Totally different camera.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin