Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,519   Online: 1032

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Canon FTb Focus Screen(s)

I have a Canon Ftb camera coming, which I assume will have the central, circular fresnel focus screen. I seem to remember, or misremember, that the later ones had a split prism screen. True, or am I confusing the FTb w/ the F1?

Shooter
    35mm
    I have seen FTbN models with the split image screen. Even though I have many FTbNs, they all have a plain microprism screen. I bought a split image screen from an eBay seller but so far I haven't had it transplanted into one of my FTbNs. I have been told that it would also fit into an FTb. At about the same time that Canon offered te split image screen as an option, Nikon sold the Nikkormat FTNK wth the K screen. It was the later FTN with the black plastic covered selt fimer lever.

Shooter
    35mm
    Possible that a later version may have gotten the split prism but my FTB, the manual and the Canon Camera Museum - FTB show a "Microprism rangefinder at center of fresnel matte screen."

Shooter
    35mm
    I have never seen an original FTb with anything other than the plain microprism. The FTbN has the blastic tipped film advance lever and shows the shutter speed in the corner of the viewfinder.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As I figured, my memory is a little "creative". Thanks everyone. I used to have a FT QL (big!) and really enjoyed the build quality, so this FTb should be fun a lot of to shoot too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Back in the 1970's at a Canon demo I was at, they had a few FTb's on the display that had split-image screens installed. I recall the factory rep telling me that Canon U.S.A could change a microprism screen FTb to a split-image screen if a person wanted. All you had to do was send it in. I suppose a good repair tech could do the switch today if he had the proper screen.

Jim B.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I had an FTBn, and it did not have a split prism screen.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    I have a Canon Ftb camera coming, which I assume will have the central, circular fresnel focus screen. I seem to remember, or misremember, that the later ones had a split prism screen. True, or am I confusing the FTb w/ the F1?
    You mix up fresnel- and microprism-lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    I had a FTbQL in 73 that had the split ring

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought it at the PX in Germany

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin