Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,532   Posts: 1,572,648   Online: 958

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Long shot: trying to track down a 35mm compact

I appreciate this is a long shot, but where better to ask than here

In the 1990s I had a cheap 35mm compact camera. I can't remember what it was, but I am trying to track down the make and model. Can anyone think of a camera that meets these specs:

• Basic 35mm compact
    • Purchased new in early 90s from Dixons (UK) for probably about £10
    • It had a brand name I'd heard of before, but not one of the major manufacturers. Maybe Miranda etc?
    • Similar in appearance to the Canon Snappy LX
    • Black plastic with blue/green trim
    • Fixed focus lens
    • Manual film advance
    • Large viewfinder
    • No auto-exposure (fixed shutter & aperture)

I owned this camera before I was interested in photography, just for holiday snaps as a teenager. I don't think I threw it away when I got my first digital camera, but I turned over my parents' house this Christmas and couldn't find it anywhere. They deny getting rid of it too!

If anyone can suggest cameras that fit this description then I'd be extremely grateful. I've spent a couple of hours looking at pictures of 35mm compacts online but I can't see mine.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    ansco?
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Searust View Post
    ansco?
    Hnm, it wasn't an Ansco. I've never seen a new Ansco for sale in the UK, actually.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got a simple camera though quite similar in appearance to the Canon Snappy LX (which I never came across).
    Most remarkable is the large viefinder.
    The one I got I see repeatedly under differend brands.

EDIT: May be I mixed up cameras...
    The one I got for sure has motor transport and and a tiny 2-group lens stated to be aspherical, madi un China.
    It is called "Fun Cam Motor" and Agfa (rhomb) branded.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/botakja...n/photostream/
    Here is one in different design, but Agfa branded too:
    http://cf3.souqcdn.com/item/33/39/67...967_447644.jpg
    Last edited by AgX; 12-31-2013 at 10:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Miranda went out of business in the late 70s, so perhaps Mamiya?

I just bought a Mamiya non-autofocus, manual advance camera, but it was made in 1982. Anyway, here's a picture of it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11657190134_f0351d9929_z.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	79236

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I got a simple camera though quite similar in appearance to the Canon Snappy LX (which I never came across).
    Most remarkable is the large viefinder.
    The one I got I see repeatedly under differend brands.
    Which camera is it you have? I wonder if mine is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroZon View Post
    Miranda went out of business in the late 70s, so perhaps Mamiya?
    It wasn't Mamiya. I'd be very lucky to buy a brand new Mamiya for £10 (about $13). The camera I had had no electronics at all, no flash, no exposure, no focus.

Miranda went out of business in the 70s but a British company bought the rights to use the name and continued selling re-badged cameras under the Miranda name. Sort of ties in with a cheap plastic camera.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine is the same version as the one in the first photo I linked to. But as said, it is motorized.

But at least it has strong resemblance of the Canon Snappy LX you refered to:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/travvoll/4449378972/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Last edited by elcabezagrande; 12-31-2013 at 10:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Fuji also made a series of "big viewfinder" cameras, under the Clear Shot/Smart Shot series. Yashica also made some that were similar (Yashica Clearlook). I don't think any were manual advance, though. Kalimar made a model with the big finder and a manual zoom lens and manual advance (Kalimar Zoom), but they are not black.
    Last edited by elcabezagrande; 12-31-2013 at 10:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think we are talking about a plastic toy type cameras that were sold in the 90s. 35mm viewfinder, fixed lens, made to look like a SLR and given names that were similar to Nikon or other brands. A few had flash, some had a motor winder. I see them at thrift shops for a couple of dollars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin