Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,462   Online: 867

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Winders tend to break down

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nielsen View Post
    I would like to shoot action with my OM gear, specifically airshows, so I had considered buying a 300 f/4.5 plus some kind of winder or motor drive but I don't know anything about the Olympus winders. Do they work well, are they reliable, is this a pointless endeavor etc.

I could just buy an Nikon F100 and use it with the 70-300 I have lying around I suppose

Thoughts?
    Chris,
    I used an OM system to cover sports events and airshows from the mid 70's for 20 years. I used winders - rather than motor drives - because they were cheap, light and simple to use. Unlike the camera bodies, which I found extremely robust, the winders would break down after 2-300 films. I just used to bin them and buy new, which you can no longer do. I used to keep a spare in my bag. If you are looking for reliability in a second hand piece of kit then I wouldn't recommend the Winder.

Regards

Simon

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by pen s View Post
    My Winder-1 died but no big deal. I bought the OM-1 for it's compact form factor and the winder was just too bulky. I think Winder-1's have more problems than the Winder-2. What ever you do, don't misplace the winder cover from the bottom of your camera. Replacements are not easy to come by.
    IIRC, there is a slot inside the winder to store that cover :-).

Stefan

Verstuurd van mijn GT-P7510 met Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are two winders - Winder 1 and Winder 2. I've have two Winder 1s go bad - clutch problems. There are no parts available. I've never had any issues with Winder 2 units. When a Winder 1 goes bad it's a parts unit. Not worth the repair.

I do have Motor Drive 1. I sent it to John (zuiko.com) and he overhauled it. Not cheap but it works great. I use the 18v grip and a Nicad pack which John rebuilt. I've not used it much and sometimes I wonder why I bought and why I spent the $$ having it fixed.

John can still service the OM motor drives & battery packs but be prepared for a hefty bill.

http://zuiko.com/index_011.htm

Good luck!
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, you lot are amazing, thanks for the information!

Just a note about my Nikon lens, it's the vr G lens, and I did have an N90 but it doesn't know about VR and is crippled with a G lens so I got rid of it, I think an F100 would work a lot better

Shooter
    Medium Format
    An F100 will work way better with that lens than an N90- even if it just added the second control dial, but you get VR and a really nice AF system as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    It is hard to imagine using the Zuiko 300f4.5 at an air show. It is a big lens which would be practically impossible to hand hold and focus; it is not much smaller than the 400f6.3, and 300mm is really not that long for this kind of work. The 200f4 with the B300 T-CON gives you 340mm in a smaller, lighter package at about the same speed. I use this for the zoo and such and it is much more practical than the 300f4.5. The other option is a 500f8 mirror lens. Tamron makes a nice one that fits the OM's, and as I recall the specs are better than the Zuiko.

But any of those will still be problematic at an airshow. Since you will be looking at snapping a huge number of shots on the off chance that one or two turn out looking good, you would be better off with a technology that dare not speak its name.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thuggins View Post
    It is hard to imagine using the Zuiko 300f4.5 at an air show. It is a big lens which would be practically impossible to hand hold and focus; it is not much smaller than the 400f6.3, and 300mm is really not that long for this kind of work. The 200f4 with the B300 T-CON gives you 340mm in a smaller, lighter package at about the same speed. I use this for the zoo and such and it is much more practical than the 300f4.5. The other option is a 500f8 mirror lens. Tamron makes a nice one that fits the OM's, and as I recall the specs are better than the Zuiko.

But any of those will still be problematic at an airshow. Since you will be looking at snapping a huge number of shots on the off chance that one or two turn out looking good, you would be better off with a technology that dare not speak its name.
    Oh boy

Thanks for the info, I hadn't considered the hand-holdability. I have one of those unnameable devices that I can use. Perhaps I should just forget the ground to air stuff and shoot parked a/c with my RB67 :-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nielsen View Post
    Oh boy

Thanks for the info, I hadn't considered the hand-holdability. I have one of those unnameable devices that I can use. Perhaps I should just forget the ground to air stuff and shoot parked a/c with my RB67 :-)
    I don't think a 300/4,5 should present much hand holding problems, that's what those lenses are really good at actually. I regularity use a 300/body combo that weighs well over 4kg, and while I don't want to hand hold it all day, I've certainly been able to get many good photos that way.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    http://olympus.dementix.org/Hardware/
    you can get winder 2s in junk shops rebuild

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Having both an Olympus and Nikon system, I would recommend the Nikon F100 for telephoto or action work.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin