Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,913   Posts: 1,521,712   Online: 1048

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Are Olympus winders ok?

I would like to shoot action with my OM gear, specifically airshows, so I had considered buying a 300 f/4.5 plus some kind of winder or motor drive but I don't know anything about the Olympus winders. Do they work well, are they reliable, is this a pointless endeavor etc.

I could just buy an Nikon F100 and use it with the 70-300 I have lying around I suppose

Thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The winder on my OM2n works great. Very smooth and solid feel and sound. Only had it for a year or so so I cannot speak to it's longer term reliability.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lots of info on Olympus winders here:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...nder/index.htm

Maybe help some?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The winder 2 is good, simple with 4 AAs, but fps isnt that high. Youd need the larger and bulkier motor drive, which is much harder to find. The f100 with added battery grip should shoot at higher fps than the winder2.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The motor drives required special rechargeable battery packs that are almost all dead by now. Some people have rebuilt them, but it is expensive.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok thanks all. KEH have a winder for $19, I might just buy it and see how I get I

Shooter
    35mm
    My Winder-1 died but no big deal. I bought the OM-1 for it's compact form factor and the winder was just too bulky. I think Winder-1's have more problems than the Winder-2. What ever you do, don't misplace the winder cover from the bottom of your camera. Replacements are not easy to come by.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been using Olympus gear for over 25 years. I have never had a Winder 1 or Winder 2, but I have used the Motor Drive 2 for years, and I love it. The Winders have a rate of 2 1/2 frames per second while the Motor Drive fires at a rate of 5 frames per second. The Winders use AA batteries but the Motor Drives need a separate power source. The three options to power the Motor Drive are 1) The M. 15V Ni-Cad Control Pack, 2) The M. 18V Control Grip, or 3) a dedicated AC power source that utilizes household current.

The OM-4T(i) Body with no lens weighs 510 grams. The Motor Drive 2 weighs 360 grams and if I remember correctly the M. 15V Ni-Cad Pack is about 160 grams. The combination of my OM-4T with Motor Drive 2 and Ni-Cad Control Pack 2 has a very solid feel and I think that the combination handles very well.

All OM system units were discontinued in 2002 by Olympus, and I would guess that your chances of finding a usable Ni-Cad Control Pack are roughly 20%, although Camtech will still rebuild them using NiMh cells. The M. 18V Control Grip uses 12 AA cells and clips to the bottom of the Motor Drive or can be placed in a pocket and connected with a Relay Cord. The M. 18V Control grip has the advantage of adding a stable Pistol type grip below the camera and the use of AA batteries.

A Winder can be had for cheap but a working Motor Drive 2 and Ni-cad Control Pack 2 may cost $250 or more and you will probably need to have the Ni-Cad pack rebuilt.

Oh, the Motor Drive 2 has a LED readout that counts down the Frames remaining and has other functions as well, but there is also built in electronics. The Motor Drive 2 will allow motorized Rewind with OM-4, OM-3, OM-4T and OM3Ti bodies.
    Last edited by mopar_guy; 12-31-2013 at 11:24 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spacing, clarity
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh and for more information:

http://olympus.dementix.org/eSIF/om-sif.htm
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good price on the winder, but as mentioned they really aren't that fast. For the same $19 you should be able to buy an N8008s to go w/ that zoom you mentioned, or for a little more an N90s. I'm not an auto focus guy so I don't know which model would be better for that (I suspect the N90s), but I shoot my N8008s regularly w/ Nikon and Leica R glass and love that camera. Best spot meter I've ever used. If your 70 300 lens is manual focus you won't need a N90s, the N8008s will do everything you need it to do. The focus screens are user replaceable in about 30 seconds, but I go w/ the standard matte AF screen and use the focus confirmation light when in doubt. The viewfinder is huge, bright, and I can see all of it even w/ my glasses on. Takes cheap AAA batteries. It's amazing that you can buy a camera that's packed w/ all the features it has for so little money. It can shoot at over 3 fps if that's fast enough. The N90s does over 4. Neither looks as cool as an F100 if that matters. They just work.
    Last edited by momus; 01-01-2014 at 07:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin