Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,916   Online: 1018

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd go with an Olympus OM-2 or OM-2n with the 50mm f/1.8 "Made in Japan" lens to start. Then add the 85mm f/2 or the 35mm f/2. Or a fast 28mm lens.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Canonet QL17 would be my vote for a rangefinder. F/1.7 lens, good metering for the era.

Stylus Epic would be a great P&S, f/2.8 lens though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I wish the 35TI, the FA, and the T4 met my criteria of "cheap (inexpensive)". The Sylus Epic, maybe if you are patient enough you can find one for $50 or less. The Nikon AF600 would be another good option that would be "cheap" in my book. Or a Yashica Electro 35, or a Konica C35, if he prefers a rangefinder, or an Olympus XA2 or XA3 for a scale focus choice. All have good, accurate meters, and good optics. The OP stated that his brother would only use the camera a few times a year, so I doubt that he wants to invest $250 or more, and while the later Nikon AF bodies may be inexpensive enough, the lenses may not be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you're looking for inexpensive, it's hard to beat the Takumar M42 stuff. All Pentax bodies take M42 lenses with a cheap adapter. My ME Super does well with slides in 35mm, and they're dirt cheap. If you teach him a bit about metering, it's not hard to get good results with center-weighted or spot metering. Using manual mode and pointing the camera around the scene is no big deal. You also have an AE mode with eV compensation. My camera of choice when I load up some Provia in 35mm is an MX, but the full manual operation might be daunting to someone starting out. Also, an MX these days is about $100 on its own.

as far as cheap and fantastic M42 lenses goes, you can be off and running with the Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5 (incredibly sharp) Super Takumar 55mm f/2 or f/1.8 (optically the same) and the Super Takumar 135mm f/3.5. there are tons of bodies that'll work great with M42 glass, and for about $100 you can be up and running with 2 quite nice primes.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If he were to go the SLR route, a working Yashica FX-3 with a Yashica ML 50/2 can often be found for about $25. A great compact SLR setup.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    How about a Nikon N75 with a small prime? I've seen N75's for >$40, and it's got a pretty decent matrix meter. Not super small, but you probably aren't going to find a better meter/dollar ratio for ease of use w/slides.

Shooter
    35mm
    Has not anyone realised yet that at five 36 exposure rolls per year your brother will probably spend more on film and processing than on whatever cheap camera is likely available.

Checking prices at B&H five rolls of the least expensive Fujichrome with processing would run about $100 plus shipping.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin