Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,794   Online: 945

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

calling olympus stylus epic or mjuII users

I now have a little stylus epic or as they call them down under MJUII. I'll be doing general street photography with it during lunch breaks, so am just wondering if there are any quirks with this cam I need to know about. I have it loaded with Agfa APX400 at the moment,and will probably dev that in rodinal. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can get very center-weighted metering and set the camera to no flash, but if you close the camera it will go back to default. For the metering push both buttons at the same time (flash & self-timer) and to get to no flash just keep going through with the flash button. There is also a night time setting where the camera will do very long exposure. They are great little cameras, but I'm looking for a little more control with an Olympus XA if I can find one.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks Jeremy, I didn't know about the spot meter setting. Am I able to lock a meter reading while holding the button halfway down?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Thanks Jeremy, I didn't know about the spot meter setting. Am I able to lock a meter reading while holding the button halfway down?
    Sorry, meant to add that, yes you can lock focus doing that too.

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    cool, I wonder how center-weighted it is, maybe the diameter of the crosshairs in the view finder? Any lastly i know the flash settings go back to default after an exposure, and you're saying this happens to the meter setting as well? Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    cool, I wonder how center-weighted it is, maybe the diameter of the crosshairs in the view finder? Any lastly i know the flash settings go back to default after an exposure, and you're saying this happens to the meter setting as well? Thanks
    Yes, once you close the camera everything reverts back to the default. You can tell that you did the metering change correctly (pressed both buttons at the same time) because there will be a rectangle will a dot in the middle showing in the upper left (? I believe) of the LCD on the back.

blog
    website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just in case you need to rate your film at a lower speed:

http://www.bythom.com/dxcodes.htm

If there are no DX markings on your film, then the camera will default to ISO 100.

I shoot 400 film at ISO 250 using this camera.
    Money is not the problem. The problem is, I don't have any.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Stylus Epic. It has a very good lens, is good about batteries, has a very good exposure meter from what I've been able to see, is very compact, and has virtually no control whatsoever, which drives me absolutely up the wall when it decides that it really really ought to do f/2.8 for some picture.

If you can live with that caveat, it's a great camera.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    From what I understand from the results i've got with my Epic (I shoot mostly Fujifilm Press 1600 ASA film with it...) it that the exposure program favors wider apertures... Now, the smallest appertire is f11 and highest speed 1/1000s I beleive, so in bright light It might be a problem, but I use it mostly indoors in available light... (I actually got acceptable pictures by candlelight with this little thing !

All in all an amazing camera !
    The quirk I've had problems with (well, my wife actually...) is the pre-focus, which is very important to cut down on the time between depressing the shutter and the shot being taken...

Enjoy !

PJ
    Patrick Jan Van Hove
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera"
    Mamut Photo, The Ultra-Large-Format photography homepage

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a great little camera. I often don't mind the lack of control, but I really wish that the camera would "remember" the flash and meter settings after closing the lid... The tendency of the camera to choose the fastest possible shutter speed (i.e. wide apertures) can also be annoying but worked around. The lens is fantastic. I love it as a travel camera for trips where I can't justify bringing the Nikon SLR or Koni Omega.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin