Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,764   Posts: 1,484,073   Online: 1042

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151620 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    The F3 has one manual speed, 1/60th or 1/80th (I've forgotten), and as I recall, the F-1N will give 1/90th and up if you first take out the battery.
    The New F-1 uses the battery only for speeds lower than 1/90. All speeds from 1/90 to 1/2000 plus B are mechanical and do not use the battery no matter battery in or not in place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Direct quote from the Canon New F-1 manual (paragraph excerpt):

There are several shutter speeds available with the New Canon F-1 even if the battery fails. In this case, remove the battery from the battery chamber.

Then below the paragraph in a highlighted box:

IMPORTANT
    The camera will not operate if you leave the exhausted battery in the battery chamber.

--So yes, it doesn't matter if the battery is in or not- IF the battery is not exhausted.
    Last edited by lxdude; 01-10-2014 at 04:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    Say that isn't so . . .

That is the one major shortcoming of the F3, no pointy plain prism option . . .
    One of the reasons I dislike the F3 is was styled by Georgetto Giugiaro an Italian industrial designer and it looks to me more like a fashion item with the flattened prism top shape and the red stripe than a classic camera should, the F and the F2 do look like the classics they definitely are.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    O.k. we surrender. Canon F-1 is better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vlasta View Post
    O.k. we surrender. Canon F-1 is better.
    I agree!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Why not just get both? The one that you reach for more often will be the one that you like more, in the opinion of the only person that really matters. I have an F1 and an A1. The F1 is probably technically the "better" camera, but the A1 gets more use. So, in my experience, better is not always best for me. The F1 is more badass, though, and would win in a cage match.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elcabezagrande View Post
    Why not just get both? The one that you reach for more often will be the one that you like more, in the opinion of the only person that really matters. I have an F1 and an A1. The F1 is probably technically the "better" camera, but the A1 gets more use. So, in my experience, better is not always best for me. The F1 is more badass, though, and would win in a cage match.
    I actually had both the F1 and A1 (yes, I *know* I is supposed to be F-1 and A-1, but I don't give a...), and I did get them in a cage fight. Now I only have the F1. The A1 was a real lightweight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    I actually had both the F1 and A1 (yes, I *know* I is supposed to be F-1 and A-1, but I don't give a...), and I did get them in a cage fight. Now I only have the F1. The A1 was a real lightweight.
    The F-1N and F-1(n) certainly have their advantages, particularly for shooting in manual mode since all the info is in the viewfinder. However, for aperture or shutter priority, the A-1 is a bit better because both aperture and shutter control are in the same location and can rapidly be changed with a single finger. Plus, it is a "lightweight", especially with the motor drive; it's a lot lighter than the F-1s with their respective motor drives. So, it's all a matter of what suits your needs - like always.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    One of the reasons I dislike the F3 is was styled by Georgetto Giugiaro an Italian industrial designer and it looks to me more like a fashion item with the flattened prism top shape and the red stripe than a classic camera should, the F and the F2 do look like the classics they definitely are.
    Personally, I love the functionality and features of the F3. The looks? Well, let's just say that was the beginning of the end for the F series. When you get to the F5, you're rapidly sliding down the ugly camera slope. Ugly aside, it is my go-to camera for sports. Especially, difficult shooting conditions in the variable atmosphere of a cyclocross race.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    These days the better one is the one some poor soul gives you along with the rest of the kit "because no one uses these any more, do they…?"

Phillip
    Last edited by Mad4MF; 01-12-2014 at 03:36 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: kint spel

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin