Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,369   Online: 980

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161721 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad4MF View Post
    These days the better one is there one some poor soul gives you along with the rest of the kit "because no one uses these any more, do they…?"

Phillip
    What do you use Phillip ?, the Nikon F, F 2, and F 3, and the Canon F1 and F1N are some of the best manual focus professional S.L.R.'s ever made as I'm sure many members of this forum will agree.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 01-12-2014 at 09:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whats with this looks thing? Your not dating a person, your using a tool. It it works like it should, or better than most other similar tools, its good.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    One of the reasons I dislike the F3 is was styled by Georgetto Giugiaro an Italian industrial designer and it looks to me more like a fashion item with the flattened prism top shape and the red stripe than a classic camera should, the F and the F2 do look like the classics they definitely are.
    Of course the Canon New F-1 also had the flattened prism top.

The three pro SLRs that were released in 1980 & 1981.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Whats with this looks thing? Your not dating a person, your using a tool. It it works like it should, or better than most other similar tools, its good.
    Exactly right. However, if you have two equally great tools and one of them is substantially better looking than the other, aren't you tempted to pick up the more attractive one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I have this book on the new F1

Canon sent me this book over 30 years ago. My first F1n I bought was a lemon so they sent me this book as an apology. But the replacement is bullet proof. The preface said the camera was introduced in 1981. Gee I feel old.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/maineco...c/11933369374/
    Last edited by Mainecoonmaniac; 01-13-2014 at 01:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    Exactly right. However, if you have two equally great tools and one of them is substantially better looking than the other, aren't you tempted to pick up the more attractive one?
    Yes indeed. Or, the one which just feels better. Unless it's a @##$@&*% Canon, of course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is one argument I've always loved :-)

I was a Canon camera tech back in the days of film, and one thing that often came up was "which is better - Canon or Nikon"? I was a bit of a maverick, as I actually used Minolta cameras (SRT's) at the time, and had previously used Nikon F's and F2's. I then changed over to Canon because a) I could borrow any lens from the loan cabinet, and b) when one of the newspapers sold off all their Canon gear I got an amazing deal on NF1's with motor drives and a range of lenses form 24mm to 300/2.8.

But I digress. At the time we (the 2 techs who actually took photos) had an a similar opinion. Both camera systems were relaible and capable of first class results.

It was the lenses that were different. Nikon were sharper wide angle (between 14mm and 28mm). From 35mm to 135mm both systems produced pretty much identical results. From 200mm and up Canon were ahead in terms of results.

I know this is going to cause an argument, but it was backed up by many of the photographers we spoke to who had shot with both systems (quite a few of whom owned 1 system, but shot with the other system "at work").

As for me? I currently own a Old F1, a New F1, a Nikon F (I sold my F2), a Nikkormat FTn and half a dozen Minolta SRT's. Nearly forgot, I've also got a Pentax MX (which many people consider one of their best ever cameras). And a OM1 Olympus (now that's a under-rated camera system).

I've got various lenses for all the systems.

Bottom line? I can use any of the cameras listed with any of the lenses I own, and you can't tell the difference in the final result in slide.

Prins? Well that depends on what enlarger lens you use......and that, as they say, is another story....
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought everyone already knew the F2 was superior to any F-1? ;-)
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    I look at the personality, intelligence. Beauty is only skin deep.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    What do you use Phillip ?, the Nikon F, F 2, and F 3, and the Canon F1 and F1N are some of the best manual focus professional S.L.R.'s ever made as I'm sure many members of this forum will agree.
    I was gifted with an AE-1 and a couple of lenses and bought an 85 1.8 that became my all the time setup. Then when the chip in the body died what could I do but pick up an old F-1?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin