Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,865   Online: 991

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516171822 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    In more than 40 years of hearing all this Canon-Nikon altercation, the truth is that the Mamiya/Sekor 1000 DTL was actually the most useful and user friendly. Today, I use my Nikkormat FTn/FT2 because it's the closest match to the DTL. The DTL's now have a common problem that the spot-meter cells are not holding linearity with the averaging cells. Many spot cells have lost sensitivity hopelessly. On the oither hand, the Nikkormats have held up admirably over the years, so I use that. In all the Nikkormats I've worked on, only 1 turned up with a dead cell. Further, the Nikkormats have a 94% viewfinder-to-gate coverage, and the DTL's have 85%. Both on-center. As an aside, Pentax SP series was off-center, LR and TB. So it's actually a question of Nikkormat vs Mamiya DTL. Nikon F2 is the finest fit-and-finish 35 in history, but is disqualified by reason of the need for light above the user's head to see the meter. If there's no light above your head, you don't have any meter; you can't see the blasted needle.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    In truth, my F2 meter is 2 stops off. On the other hand, my Canon F-1 is still darn accurate. Regarding overhead light, Canon solved the problem by giving you the option to backlight the display and even cooler, saves battery power by leaving the light on for 15 seconds before auto shut off. In practice, I make 95% of my images in situations where there is enough overhead light that I don't need backlight for either camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    In truth, my F2 meter is 2 stops off. On the other hand, my Canon F-1 is still darn accurate. Regarding overhead light, Canon solved the problem by giving you the option to backlight the display and even cooler, saves battery power by leaving the light on for 15 seconds before auto shut off. In practice, I make 95% of my images in situations where there is enough overhead light that I don't need backlight for either camera.
    Canon put the light meter in the camera body because they did some experiments and found it gave more accurate readings than having it in the prism finder, and it also retained the metering ability in all the various viewfinders available.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    With the F-1 and F-1n the meter can be used with the standard finder, Serve EE finder and Speed Finder. The needle can't be seen with the Waist Level finder and the Booster finder has its own meter. It would be handy to be able to use the Waist Level finder with the built-in meter. The Speed Finder can be used instead but the magnification is lower.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Canon put the light meter in the camera body because they did some experiments and found it gave more accurate readings than having it in the prism finder, and it also retained the metering ability in all the various viewfinders available.
    There's something good to say for each approach. Canon's approach meant that the meter was tightly integrated and worked with most finders; Nikon's meant that the meter could be improved, in a time of rapid change in technology.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    There's something good to say for each approach. Canon's approach meant that the meter was tightly integrated and worked with most finders; Nikon's meant that the meter could be improved, in a time of rapid change in technology.
    That's true, the philosophy that Canon had for their professional F1 range was that they would update it every ten years to keep up with technical developments.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could purchase an illuminator for the F2 Photomic. With over 100K shots on my first one, I could have used the illuminator 2 or 3 times.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I am only aware of one product that got an updated meter and that was the Minolta XK. The original AE finder was equipped with CDS cels then a few years later an AES finder was released with a silicon cel. This finder was developed for the XM/XK/X-1 MOTOR version because the CDS cels in the original AE finder were not fast enough.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I believe the Nikon DP12 was a significant upgrade from the DP11. No only did it go to the more readable LED display, I think they changed from Cds to silicone dioxide.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    I am only aware of one product that got an updated meter and that was the Minolta XK. The original AE finder was equipped with CDS cels then a few years later an AES finder was released with a silicon cel. This finder was developed for the XM/XK/X-1 MOTOR version because the CDS cels in the original AE finder were not fast enough.

Your XK looks like a cross between an F2 and an F-1

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin