Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,993   Posts: 1,633,270   Online: 1203
      
Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516171822 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 471
  1. #111
    SchwinnParamount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,157
    Images
    49
    In truth, my F2 meter is 2 stops off. On the other hand, my Canon F-1 is still darn accurate. Regarding overhead light, Canon solved the problem by giving you the option to backlight the display and even cooler, saves battery power by leaving the light on for 15 seconds before auto shut off. In practice, I make 95% of my images in situations where there is enough overhead light that I don't need backlight for either camera.

  2. #112
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    7,699
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    In truth, my F2 meter is 2 stops off. On the other hand, my Canon F-1 is still darn accurate. Regarding overhead light, Canon solved the problem by giving you the option to backlight the display and even cooler, saves battery power by leaving the light on for 15 seconds before auto shut off. In practice, I make 95% of my images in situations where there is enough overhead light that I don't need backlight for either camera.
    Canon put the light meter in the camera body because they did some experiments and found it gave more accurate readings than having it in the prism finder, and it also retained the metering ability in all the various viewfinders available.
    Ben

  3. #113

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    886
    With the F-1 and F-1n the meter can be used with the standard finder, Serve EE finder and Speed Finder. The needle can't be seen with the Waist Level finder and the Booster finder has its own meter. It would be handy to be able to use the Waist Level finder with the built-in meter. The Speed Finder can be used instead but the magnification is lower.

  4. #114
    lxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Redlands, So. Calif.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,842
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Canon put the light meter in the camera body because they did some experiments and found it gave more accurate readings than having it in the prism finder, and it also retained the metering ability in all the various viewfinders available.
    There's something good to say for each approach. Canon's approach meant that the meter was tightly integrated and worked with most finders; Nikon's meant that the meter could be improved, in a time of rapid change in technology.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

  5. #115
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    7,699
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    There's something good to say for each approach. Canon's approach meant that the meter was tightly integrated and worked with most finders; Nikon's meant that the meter could be improved, in a time of rapid change in technology.
    That's true, the philosophy that Canon had for their professional F1 range was that they would update it every ten years to keep up with technical developments.
    Ben

  6. #116
    richard ide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wellington County, Ontario
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,227
    You could purchase an illuminator for the F2 Photomic. With over 100K shots on my first one, I could have used the illuminator 2 or 3 times.
    Richard

    Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

  7. #117

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    999
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    There's something good to say for each approach. Canon's approach meant that the meter was tightly integrated and worked with most finders; Nikon's meant that the meter could be improved, in a time of rapid change in technology.
    I am only aware of one product that got an updated meter and that was the Minolta XK. The original AE finder was equipped with CDS cels then a few years later an AES finder was released with a silicon cel. This finder was developed for the XM/XK/X-1 MOTOR version because the CDS cels in the original AE finder were not fast enough.


  8. #118
    SchwinnParamount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,157
    Images
    49
    I believe the Nikon DP12 was a significant upgrade from the DP11. No only did it go to the more readable LED display, I think they changed from Cds to silicone dioxide.

  9. #119
    SchwinnParamount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,157
    Images
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    I am only aware of one product that got an updated meter and that was the Minolta XK. The original AE finder was equipped with CDS cels then a few years later an AES finder was released with a silicon cel. This finder was developed for the XM/XK/X-1 MOTOR version because the CDS cels in the original AE finder were not fast enough.

    Your XK looks like a cross between an F2 and an F-1

  10. #120
    lxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Redlands, So. Calif.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    I am only aware of one product that got an updated meter and that was the Minolta XK. The original AE finder was equipped with CDS cels then a few years later an AES finder was released with a silicon cel. This finder was developed for the XM/XK/X-1 MOTOR version because the CDS cels in the original AE finder were not fast enough.
    The F2 had numerous new Photomic metering heads, including changing from CdS cells to silicon cells, from needle readout to LED's, and from manual indexing (AKA the Nikon twist) to Automatic Indexing (AI).

    If memory serves, this is how it went. The full name for each version included "Photomic" after the alphanumeric designation for the camera/finder combination (e.g., F2SB Photomic), but other than the original version with the DP-1, it was seldom used except by Nikon.

    DP-1: Original head, CdS cells, needle indication. -- F2 camera + DP-1 finder = F2 Photomic.
    DP-2: CdS cells, LED indication. -- F2 + DP-2 = F2S
    DP-3: Silicon Blue cells, LED indication. -- F2 + DP-3 = F2SB.
    DP-11: CdS cells, needle indication, AI. -- F2 + DP-11 = F2A.
    DP-12: Silicon Blue cells, LED indication, AI. -- F2 + DP-12 = F2AS.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin