Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,328   Posts: 1,681,986   Online: 790

Page 13 of 48 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617181923 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    One of the reasons I dislike the F3 is was styled by Georgetto Giugiaro an Italian industrial designer and it looks to me more like a fashion item with the flattened prism top shape and the red stripe than a classic camera should, the F and the F2 do look like the classics they definitely are.
    In defense of the F3, the F2's metering heads had a flattened top (comparing camera w/meter to camera w/meter). And of course, the F had its various Phugly Photomic heads. I never did understand why Nikon thought it necessary to jazz up their F3 with fancy Italian design cues when they had such an elegant, all-business look to the prior F series machines- a look which they continued in their FM and FE models.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    In defense of the F3, the F2's metering heads had a flattened top (comparing camera w/meter to camera w/meter). And of course, the F had its various Phugly Photomic heads. I never did understand why Nikon thought it necessary to jazz up their F3 with fancy Italian design cues when they had such an elegant, all-business look to the prior F series machines- a look which they continued in their FM and FE models.
    I too used to phind the big photonic heads phugly but phrankly now I like them. They are such phantastic cameras. At least those are my pheelings.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    13 pages... on which 40 year old camera is best. I feel like I'm reading ModPhot in 1974!

Just get a Nikon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Like I said in previous post comparing the F2 and the New F1 isn't fair as they were introduced in different times. But you make me pick I pick the F2. The new F1 is way too complicated.
    I even pick the F3 is you were to make that comparison. In fact I pick the Nikon any time before the introduction of the EOS.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Like I said in previous post comparing the F2 and the New F1 isn't fair as they were introduced in different times. But you make me pick I pick the F2. The new F1 is way too complicated.
    I even pick the F3 is you were to make that comparison. In fact I pick the Nikon any time before the introduction of the EOS.
    For me, personally, Nikon may as well have stopped building cameras after the F2 - there's not a one I'm really interested in, the FM2N is a very nice camera but only one of the seven Nikkor lenses I own will mount on it. As for the Canon, the only reason I don't have an F1 is that I refuse to start accumulating another set of lenses - but if a good deal (a very good deal) presented itself at a weak moment while flush with cash, I'd probably grab one.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 01-16-2014 at 11:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Are we still debating.... I was talking about the New F-1 matt black, the last one, the one I bought one new in 1987, and it was a sublime thing that served me well, until Nikon trumped it with TTL flash that worked crazy good and the specter of Auto focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just had one of my Canon New F1's serviced because the mirror had started to become very slow, it cost £95 ( $156 ) which isn't bad averaged out per year considering I bought it second hand in 1983 and it's given faultless service for thirty years.
    Ben

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While I basically don't own any older Canon for the most part, I definitely wouldn't mind an F-1 with an 85/1.2. However, as others have mentioned, I'm not going to start accumulating more stuff.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used the F1n professionally for a number of year, but Canon never really developed their all mechanical bodies in the same way Nikon did. When Nikon came out with the FM2n around 1980, pros went for it, including myself...main reason?...The FM2n offered a 1/250th flash sync, very important at the time since colour was starting to make inroads into the media world.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    This debate was a perennial favorite in photo magazines of the '70s. It makes even less sense now than it did then.
    The answer now is "the one you like best", since not a single one of us will ever use these cameras and lenses as heavily as they were designed to be used. D@mn few did when they were current, nobody will now. Lens quality? yeah right. That one's been dead for decades too.
    With the preference many (most?) have for getting another body rather than having one serviced, I wonder how many of either of these cameras are functioning anywhere near factory spec. Probably not many.
    Just as a matter of interest I have 3 Canon New F1 bodys all manufactured in different years all bought second hand between 20 and 30 years ago, and when I check the cameras light meters against each other with a Kodak Grey Card and a handheld meter of known accuracy they all agree exactly, which quite frankly amazes me, and one of the reasons I'm such a big fan of the New F1.

P.S.
    F1's are such quality cameras I would rather get my F1's serviced than replace them with ones of unknown history from auction sites where the previous owners may have had them apart on their kitchen table, that may prove eventually to have even worse faults than mine, and I know where the ones I own have been for the last 23-30 years.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 01-18-2014 at 09:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin