Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,166   Online: 1060

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617181923 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    I am only aware of one product that got an updated meter and that was the Minolta XK. The original AE finder was equipped with CDS cels then a few years later an AES finder was released with a silicon cel. This finder was developed for the XM/XK/X-1 MOTOR version because the CDS cels in the original AE finder were not fast enough.
    The F2 had numerous new Photomic metering heads, including changing from CdS cells to silicon cells, from needle readout to LED's, and from manual indexing (AKA the Nikon twist) to Automatic Indexing (AI).

If memory serves, this is how it went. The full name for each version included "Photomic" after the alphanumeric designation for the camera/finder combination (e.g., F2SB Photomic), but other than the original version with the DP-1, it was seldom used except by Nikon.

DP-1: Original head, CdS cells, needle indication. -- F2 camera + DP-1 finder = F2 Photomic.
    DP-2: CdS cells, LED indication. -- F2 + DP-2 = F2S
    DP-3: Silicon Blue cells, LED indication. -- F2 + DP-3 = F2SB.
    DP-11: CdS cells, needle indication, AI. -- F2 + DP-11 = F2A.
    DP-12: Silicon Blue cells, LED indication, AI. -- F2 + DP-12 = F2AS.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    Of course the Canon New F-1 also had the flattened prism top.

The three pro SLRs that were released in 1980 & 1981.
    The standard finders on the LX were the FA-1 or the less common FA-1W (which has a slightly smaller magnification and a broader diopter adjustment range). Both have a more flattened top with a TTL flash shoe, and a window in front to read the lens f/stop setting. The FA-2 finder pictured has the magnification and diopter adjustment of the FA-1, no flash shoe and no f/stops visible. Because of that, it was cheaper when new, and fewer were sold. Now, because it is somewhat rare, and because it looks good on the camera, there's a demand for it and it's more expensive than the other two.
    Last edited by lxdude; 01-16-2014 at 03:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    One of the reasons I dislike the F3 is was styled by Georgetto Giugiaro an Italian industrial designer and it looks to me more like a fashion item with the flattened prism top shape and the red stripe than a classic camera should, the F and the F2 do look like the classics they definitely are.
    In defense of the F3, the F2's metering heads had a flattened top (comparing camera w/meter to camera w/meter). And of course, the F had its various Phugly Photomic heads. I never did understand why Nikon thought it necessary to jazz up their F3 with fancy Italian design cues when they had such an elegant, all-business look to the prior F series machines- a look which they continued in their FM and FE models.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    In defense of the F3, the F2's metering heads had a flattened top (comparing camera w/meter to camera w/meter). And of course, the F had its various Phugly Photomic heads. I never did understand why Nikon thought it necessary to jazz up their F3 with fancy Italian design cues when they had such an elegant, all-business look to the prior F series machines- a look which they continued in their FM and FE models.
    I too used to phind the big photonic heads phugly but phrankly now I like them. They are such phantastic cameras. At least those are my pheelings.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    13 pages... on which 40 year old camera is best. I feel like I'm reading ModPhot in 1974!

Just get a Nikon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Like I said in previous post comparing the F2 and the New F1 isn't fair as they were introduced in different times. But you make me pick I pick the F2. The new F1 is way too complicated.
    I even pick the F3 is you were to make that comparison. In fact I pick the Nikon any time before the introduction of the EOS.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Like I said in previous post comparing the F2 and the New F1 isn't fair as they were introduced in different times. But you make me pick I pick the F2. The new F1 is way too complicated.
    I even pick the F3 is you were to make that comparison. In fact I pick the Nikon any time before the introduction of the EOS.
    For me, personally, Nikon may as well have stopped building cameras after the F2 - there's not a one I'm really interested in, the FM2N is a very nice camera but only one of the seven Nikkor lenses I own will mount on it. As for the Canon, the only reason I don't have an F1 is that I refuse to start accumulating another set of lenses - but if a good deal (a very good deal) presented itself at a weak moment while flush with cash, I'd probably grab one.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 01-16-2014 at 11:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Are we still debating.... I was talking about the New F-1 matt black, the last one, the one I bought one new in 1987, and it was a sublime thing that served me well, until Nikon trumped it with TTL flash that worked crazy good and the specter of Auto focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just had one of my Canon New F1's serviced because the mirror had started to become very slow, it cost £95 ( $156 ) which isn't bad averaged out per year considering I bought it second hand in 1983 and it's given faultless service for thirty years.
    Ben

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While I basically don't own any older Canon for the most part, I definitely wouldn't mind an F-1 with an 85/1.2. However, as others have mentioned, I'm not going to start accumulating more stuff.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin