Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,295   Online: 929
      
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 489101112131415161718192024 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 253
  1. #131

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    281
    I used the F1n professionally for a number of year, but Canon never really developed their all mechanical bodies in the same way Nikon did. When Nikon came out with the FM2n around 1980, pros went for it, including myself...main reason?...The FM2n offered a 1/250th flash sync, very important at the time since colour was starting to make inroads into the media world.

  2. #132
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,812
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    This debate was a perennial favorite in photo magazines of the '70s. It makes even less sense now than it did then.
    The answer now is "the one you like best", since not a single one of us will ever use these cameras and lenses as heavily as they were designed to be used. D@mn few did when they were current, nobody will now. Lens quality? yeah right. That one's been dead for decades too.
    With the preference many (most?) have for getting another body rather than having one serviced, I wonder how many of either of these cameras are functioning anywhere near factory spec. Probably not many.
    Just as a matter of interest I have 3 Canon New F1 bodys all manufactured in different years all bought second hand between 20 and 30 years ago, and when I check the cameras light meters against each other with a Kodak Grey Card and a handheld meter of known accuracy they all agree exactly, which quite frankly amazes me, and one of the reasons I'm such a big fan of the New F1.

    P.S.
    F1's are such quality cameras I would rather get my F1's serviced than replace them with ones of unknown history from auction sites where the previous owners may have had them apart on their kitchen table, that may prove eventually to have even worse faults than mine, and I know where the ones I own have been for the last 23-30 years.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 01-18-2014 at 09:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

  3. #133
    SchwinnParamount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,016
    Images
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Just as a matter of interest I have 3 Canon New F1 bodys all manufactured in different years all bought second hand between 20 and 30 years ago, and when I check the cameras light meters against each other with a Kodak Grey Card and a handheld meter of known accuracy they all agree exactly, which quite frankly amazes me, and one of the reasons I'm such a big fan of the New F1.

    P.S.
    F1's are such quality cameras I would rather get my F1's serviced than replace them with ones of unknown history from auction sites where the previous owners may have had them apart on their kitchen table, that may prove eventually to have even worse faults than mine, and I know where the ones I own have been for the last 23-30 years.
    Yep, You're right.

    That being said, I am SO torn between my Nikons and the single Canon I own now (owned a few before, but never an F-1). Nikon, has everything the F-1 has, minus the reliable meter (oops!). Canon... wait for it.
    Ok there is one knock against the F-1. That freaking battery chamber spring. The one that holds the negative battery terminal post up against the battery. Every Canon I've ever owned, the spring gives up the ghost and I end up having to put in a stop-gap copper thingie to make the negative terminal contact. That is just so amateur. WTF Canon? You have a great camera in virtually all respects except you drop the ball BADLY in the one bit that really kills the camera. The electronics.

  4. #134
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,812
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    Yep, You're right.

    That being said, I am SO torn between my Nikons and the single Canon I own now (owned a few before, but never an F-1). Nikon, has everything the F-1 has, minus the reliable meter (oops!). Canon... wait for it.
    Ok there is one knock against the F-1. That freaking battery chamber spring. The one that holds the negative battery terminal post up against the battery. Every Canon I've ever owned, the spring gives up the ghost and I end up having to put in a stop-gap copper thingie to make the negative terminal contact. That is just so amateur. WTF Canon? You have a great camera in virtually all respects except you drop the ball BADLY in the one bit that really kills the camera. The electronics.
    As I've already written on this thread I have 3 New F1's for more than 25 years and I have never had any problems with the battery contacts on any of them, the only money I have had to spend on them in all that time is one of them recently developed a slow mirror fault, I had it C.L.A'd at my local professional dealers, their camera technician did a great job on it, and I'm as happy as Larry.

    P.S. You can't compare the Canon A series cameras with the F series any more than you can compare the Nikon EM with the F2 or F3 because the consumer grade A series were made for a mass market to a price, The F series were made as a professional tool and to a quality. I have owned A series cameras in the past, the last one was an A1 that I had for about 25 years but never liked it,I eventually gave it to my niece last year.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 01-19-2014 at 05:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

  5. #135
    Ricardo Miranda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    641
    You can't compare the Canon A series cameras with the F series any more than you can compare the Nikon EM with the F2 or F3
    Ben,
    Actually, you can compare the EM to a F3 to a certain point. They both use the same metal for the internal structure: copper silumin aluminum. And both were designed by the same designer: Giorgetto Giugiaro. In other aspects, they are quite different.
    See: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...s/emfgfg20/em/
    They are quite sturdy and most are in working order, even after 30 years.
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

  6. #136

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    824
    And actually you can compare them all and point out things that can be measured like features and specs but to declare one is better over the other is completely subjective to the end user. For instance these all had interchangeable prisms and screens, titanium horizontal curtains and the top of each manufacturers specs at the time of their releases. Magazine reviews of the day used to actually disassemble them to determine what they were made of to predict how they should last. They also subjected them to some strenuous environmental testing that maybe few of us today would even think of let alone conduct. Unfortunately I didn't find any bulletproof or use them as hammer testing but maybe myth busters can do that . . .



    Of course some time has passed since these were available factory new which really skews the perspective of new users.

  7. #137
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,812
    The camera manufacturers at the design stage decide what materials to make the camera of, what tolerances the components should machined to, and what their probable service life should be before they fail, and what price the camera should sell for against the other competing manufacturers.
    Ben

  8. #138
    SchwinnParamount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,016
    Images
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    As I've already written on this thread I have 3 New F1's for more than 25 years and I have never had any problems with the battery contacts on any of them, the only money I have had to spend on them in all that time is one of them recently developed a slow mirror fault, I had it C.L.A'd at my local professional dealers, their camera technician did a great job on it, and I'm as happy as Larry.

    P.S. You can't compare the Canon A series cameras with the F series any more than you can compare the Nikon EM with the F2 or F3 because the consumer grade A series were made for a mass market to a price, The F series were made as a professional tool and to a quality. I have owned A series cameras in the past, the last one was an A1 that I had for about 25 years but never liked it,I eventually gave it to my niece last year.
    I must be extraordinarily unlucky then. I've had two F-1s with broken springs, an A-1 with a broken spring, and an AE-1 with a broken spring. I've never had a Canon that did not fail in this way.

  9. #139

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    824
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    I have them both and love them both. Silly question, but should I love one more than the other?
    Going back to your original question, is there a feature or function that one can't do given a particular shooting requirement?

    For instance do you need the F2's MLU to minimize camera movement or the New F-1's autoexposure mode in fast shooting conditions? Given the specific conditions, maybe it's a case of horses for courses and you need both.

  10. #140
    SchwinnParamount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,016
    Images
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    Going back to your original question, is there a feature or function that one can't do given a particular shooting requirement?

    For instance do you need the F2's MLU to minimize camera movement or the New F-1's autoexposure mode in fast shooting conditions? Given the specific conditions, maybe it's a case of horses for courses and you need both.
    Yep, that's right. Of course, when I want a perfectly still camera for a tack sharp image, I usually go to the RB-67 and a tripod. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever used the MLU on any of my Nikons.



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin