Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,221   Posts: 1,532,331   Online: 1084

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    When the Nikon F came out it was the best 35mm system in the world. Exacta made a system but -- well, they were clunky and not too reliable. Pentax was marketed in the US by Honeywell and was a good system but had that screw-mount lens system they had to ditch and other problems. Canon then was marketed in the States by Bell and Howell and they focused on very small rangefinder cameras with non-interchangable lenses. They are wonderful, I have six.
    Canon did not come roaring back until the AE-1 which woke people up to he fact that Canon makes fabulous cameras.
    I've gone with Nikon since 1982 with a Leica 2R, Rolleiflexes and Yashicamats, as backups. Canons are great -- I just have not used them much.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For my purposes, the F-1 and the F2 have an equivalent feature set. All I need is a reliable meter and good lenses. I normally use manual exposure and match the needle. Occasionally, I will use exposure compensation. Both cameras have that feature of course. When I want to do any zone work with a spot meter, I go to my 8x10. For artistic work where the big negative is not necessary, I use the RB-67. My 35mm cameras are for sports such as wrestling, bicycle racing, track & field. I use them for street photography too.

Shooter
    35mm
    So at the end of the day, it is in fact horses for courses. One is better than the other given a particular photographic requirement and whim . . .

Same for me, I appreciate them all and put them to good use as much as I can.
    Last edited by Les Sarile; 01-19-2014 at 10:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm

Regarding Long Exposures

Any of the Nikon Auto-Exposure cameras from the 70s and 80s that have an analogue circuitry can do longer exposures on AUTO than the times specified by Nikon.
    These includes all of the Nikkormat/Nikon EL series, the FE/FA series and the EM/FG/FG-20 series. They can do long exposures of several minutes if needed.
    But, Nikon was too honest. They could only approve the speeds for which absolute precision could be guarantee. They even removed the indication for 8 seconds from the Nikkormat EL dial.
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have had all versions of the Canon F1, and several Nikon F2 cameras. I find both cameras fun to shoot, but for all-around use, I have to side with the Nikon F2. My main reason for this choice comes down to the lenses, and in most cases, I find the AI and AIS lenses to be better performers. My Nikon F2 is an old titanium model with the plain prism, so meter issues are nonexistant, my Canon F1 is a military-issue model which still works very well.

The main reason I keep the Canon is because I love the old 35/2 concave lens, but were it not for this lens, I probably wouldn't bother.

Between the F1N and the F3, there really is no comparison, the F3 operates as smoothly as a Swiss watch, and no matter how hard I have beaten on my F3 cameras, they have never let me down. I have had a Canon F1n have a meter fail, and two other have had the high shutter speeds not work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nikon F3 is much more prone to failures than the F1N(ew). The F3 makes more noise, without batteries is a dead cow with only 1/80 available. The F1N can fall from the skies on the concrete and still operate accurately, even without batteries with shutter speeds from 1/90 to 1/2000.
    None of my F1s had ever had any problems and one of them, the one I use for experiments, is as if a truck had ran over it.
    I had two F3s that as soon after the stopped working I had sold them for parts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zanxion72 View Post
    Nikon F3 is much more prone to failures than the F1N(ew). The F3 makes more noise, without batteries is a dead cow with only 1/80 available. The F1N can fall from the skies on the concrete and still operate accurately, even without batteries with shutter speeds from 1/90 to 1/2000.
    None of my F1s had ever had any problems and one of them, the one I use for experiments, is as if a truck had ran over it.
    I had two F3s that as soon after the stopped working I had sold them for parts.
    The wonderful hybrid electro- mechanical hybrid Titanium shutter is one of the reasons use new F1's, some of the other reasons are the superb weather sealing at forty points around the body, and they are so tough you could knock steel tent pegs into permafrost with them and they would still work.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zanxion72 View Post
    Nikon F3 is much more prone to failures than the F1N(ew). The F3 makes more noise, without batteries is a dead cow with only 1/80 available. ....
    Excellent, now we're getting to some real NFL level trash talk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    Excellent, now we're getting to some real NFL level trash talk
    The truth hurts, the F3 does only has one shutter speed of 1/80 sec if the battery fails
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin