Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,018   Online: 749

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 711121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mechanical shutters lack the precision of electronically timed units.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How many great images have been made on F3s vs F-1s? Fondle your Canon all day - but what counts is what is produced with it. :-)
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If Rambo used an F3, well 'nuff said.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Mechanical shutters lack the precision of electronically timed units.

Not sure which last longer but the fully electronic shutter of the F3 is very nice and accurate. Fully mechanical shutter of the F2 isn't as accurate in the slower speed but they are also nice. The hybrid shutter of the F1 makes things complicated and not so much in accuracy.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I dare you all to see the difference in a negative between one exposed at 1/60th of a second and one exposed at 1/57th of a second. Your fancy-pants electronic shutter that hits at exactly 1/60th while it is working is great, but I would rather have 1/57th of a second than a fail.... know what I mean?

The only thing worse than a shutter that won't fire is 3 turnovers in the 4th quarter and a painful season ending loss to a FAR BETTER football team from Seattle... and rumor has it that they all carry the Canon F-1 in their travel bags.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, the actual accuracy standard up to 1/500th (if I remember correctly) is 20%, and 25% above that. So 1/60th could be an actual 1/48th to 1/72nd. Still, that is a fifth of a stop, which is well within film latitude. I used all-mechanical shutter cameras for many years with transparency film, and had no problems. I did find that I learned the tendencies of camera bodies at certain speeds, and lenses at certain apertures, and would sometimes vary exposure a little bit on the aperture ring (1/4 stop or so) from the exposure I determined, in order to get what I wanted. This was only with transparency film, where the difference in the final product (the slide) was perceptible in some images.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    I dare you all to see the difference in a negative between one exposed at 1/60th of a second and one exposed at 1/57th of a second. Your fancy-pants electronic shutter that hits at exactly 1/60th while it is working is great, but I would rather have 1/57th of a second than a fail.... know what I mean?

The only thing worse than a shutter that won't fire is 3 turnovers in the 4th quarter and a painful season ending loss to a FAR BETTER football team from Seattle... and rumor has it that they all carry the Canon F-1 in their travel bags.
    1/60 is well within the tolerance of the F3 and also 1/57. But when one calibrate the F3 the shutter speed one aim for is 1/64.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Chan Tran;1599134]Not sure which last longer but the fully electronic shutter of the F3 is very nice and accurate. Fully mechanical shutter of the F2 isn't as accurate in the slower speed but they are also nice. The hybrid shutter of the F1 makes things complicated and not so much in accuracy.[/QUOTE

]
    "The hybrid shutter of the F1 makes things complicated and not so much in accuracy "
    "

Have you actually ever owned a New Canon F1, or are your remarks purely conjecture ?
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    The truth hurts, the F3 does only has one shutter speed of 1/80 sec if the battery fails
    Which is precisely why, after experience with an OM4, I will never have a camera with an electronic shutter or is battery dependent in any way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Which is precisely why, after experience with an OM4, I will never have a camera with an electronic shutter or is battery dependent in any way.
    That's your choice and I respect it, but it hasn't been my experience of over 25 years of use with the Canon New F1's, T90, EF, or even the consumer grade A1, that although I hated the camera since I bought it second hand in 1980, it was ( as were all my canons ) very reliable since the day got it, I eventually gave it to my niece last year who is still using it.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 01-21-2014 at 09:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin