Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,901   Posts: 1,521,096   Online: 998

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    That's your choice and I respect it, but it hasn't been my experience of over 25 years of use with the Canon NewF1's, T90, EF, or even the A1 that although I hated the camera and I did buy it second hand in 1980 It was very reliable since the day got it, I eventually gave it to my niece last year who is still using it.
    Mine was an early -4, they ate batteries. It seemed like every time I went to use the thing, I had to replace the battery - the later ones did not have this issue. But it put a permanent bad taste in my mouth regarding cameras which turn into paperweights without electricity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Mine was an early -4, they ate batteries. It seemed like every time I went to use the thing, I had to replace the battery - the later ones did not have this issue. But it put a permanent bad taste in my mouth regarding cameras which turn into paperweights without electricity.
    I used to manage photographic stores for more than 20 years, when the O.M 4 first came out and they were on quota from Olympus U.K our group of 10 shops were only allocated 7 by them between them, and every one we sold was returned by the customer because they ate batteries, our company's directors told Olympus that we wouldn't buy any more from them until the fault was sorted out. Eventually Olympus wrote us a letter that said that the fault had been caused by design error in the central processing unit and they had sent all their U.K stock back to Japan to have the newly designed C.P.U fitted.
    With due respect you can't judge all electronic cameras by one notorious example, solid state electronics I.M.O. can be just as reliable as mechanical ones because their are no moving parts, no metal on mental wear, and I speak as a former apprentice trained mechanical engineer.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Will this settle it?

Just kidding, but I think it might come down to preference. There are tons of digital gear heads out there constantly upgrading. I've shot with my Canon F-1 since the 80's and I'm perfectly happy. For me, it's all about making images and the camera is really secondary. But I'm going to drop a D bomb here. It's fun to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Vz94bdlVVlc
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to manage photographic stores for more than 20 years, when the O.M 4 first came out and they were on quota from Olympus U.K our group of 10 shops were only allocated 7 by them between them, and every one we sold was returned by the customer because they ate batteries, our company's directors told Olympus that we wouldn't buy any more from them until the fault was sorted out. Eventually Olympus wrote us a letter that said that the fault had been caused by design error in the central processing unit and they had sent all their U.K stock back to Japan to have the newly designed C.P.U fitted.
    With due respect you can't judge all electronic cameras by one notorious example, solid state electronics I.M.O. can be just as reliable as mechanical ones because their are no moving parts, no metal on mental wear, and I speak as a former apprentice trained mechanical engineer.
    More so. Some seem to have an amost infinite TBF. But, I can't repair an integrated CPU. I can repair - as well as fabricate any unobtainable part - a mechanically timed shutter. Q.E.D.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    More so. Some seem to have an amost infinite TBF. But, I can't repair an integrated CPU. I can repair - as well as fabricate any unobtainable part - a mechanically timed shutter. Q.E.D.
    Modern photographic equipment isn't designed to be repaired by the man in the street in mind, they are such complex electro- mechanical devices that the kitchen table tinkerer doesn't stand a hope in hell of effecting a correct repair because they lack the knowledge, skills training, tools and test equipment, I'm a trained precision engineer and although I have the service manuals for all my cameras the more I study them the less I feel inclined to attempt to service them., I only use them to lend to my camera repairer if he needs them if they need to be serviced.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 01-21-2014 at 10:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Modern photographic equipment isn't designed to be repaired by the man in the street.
    Cars are getting the same way. Most cars you can't even tune them up by a home mechanic. They're computerized and most mechanics don't even diagnose them anymore. They just hook another computer up to them and the car's data is sent over the internet to another country. This saves the shop from buying the repair manuals.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Modern photographic equipment isn't designed to be repaired by the man in the street in mind, they are such complex electro- mechanical devices that the kitchen table tinkerer doesn't stand a hope in @#!*% of effecting a correct repair because they lack the knowledge, skills training, tools and test equipment, I'm a trained precision engineer and although I have the service manuals for all my cameras the more I study them the less I feel inclined to attempt to service them., I only use them to lend to my camera repairer if he needs them if they need to be serviced.
    Which is why I don't have any.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Cars are getting the same way. Most cars you can't even tune them up by a home mechanic. They're computerized and most mechanics don't even diagnose them anymore. They just hook another computer up to them and the car's data is sent over the internet to another country. This saves the shop from buying the repair manuals.
    Very true I remember even as far back as 1986 when the Canon T 90 first came I was told by Canon's national service manager ( who's name was ironically Malcolm Tester ) that they had to hook up T90's to a diagnostic computer to find out what was wrong with them.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Just kidding, but I think it might come down to preference. There are tons of digital gear heads out there constantly upgrading. I've shot with my Canon F-1 since the 80's and I'm perfectly happy. For me, it's all about making images and the camera is really secondary. But I'm going to drop a D bomb here. It's fun to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Vz94bdlVVlc
    It's funny how the guy on the video is remembering way back to the beginnings of digital SLRs as though there wasn't any history of Canon or Nikon cameras before digital .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My wife has a Chrysler PT Cruiser. You can access many of the diagnostic codes yourself by pressing a button, going through a routine involving the ignition key, and reading results on the trip odometer.

As I understand it, many/most other cars have similar access routines.

It all reminds me of the scene in "The Last Emperor" where the royal court fortune tellers examine carefully the bowel movements of the infant emperor in order to predict the future.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin