Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,714   Online: 807

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    Probably better to compare the Nikon F2 to the Canon F-1 or the Canon New F-1 to the Nikon F3 since these pairs are of the same era. Are you considering whole systems or specific prisms?
    There was a lot of overlap. I saw many Nikon F3's go to the shop, during the same years my Canon F-1n just clicked away with buttery smoothness. I always thought work and the time I did with my Canon wides was sharper didn't suffer from as much barrel distortion as my contemporaries using the Nikon 28 or 24mm lenses. I have used both have had a Nikon Af system for 25 years now. I switched because at the time I was exposing a lot of transparency film and the Nikon flash automation in the early 1990's was simply wizardry and allowed me to photograph with such confidence. If I still had Canon lenses I'd still have a F1n to make black and white images. I liked the F1n that much. I am now too accustomed to the focus direction of the Nikons (funny I use non-af lens so much), that I don't want to think about switching back.

Shooter
    35mm
    It is a simple choice -- which one is best FOR YOU? Every person has a different way of taking photos and which weaknesses/strengths of which camera are best for you? What we think doesn't matter. I never listen to my own advice. If I did I would not have gotten rid of my Rolleiflex and my Leica M2R or my Olympic Sonnar 180mm f2.8 lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    It is a simple choice -- which one is best FOR YOU? Every person has a different way of taking photos and which weaknesses/strengths of which camera are best for you? What we think doesn't matter. I never listen to my own advice.
    +1 although thought I would add my hands on experience with this item which I think was very well made perhaps the best --(sans electronic automation mentioned, my need for auto-focus, that I just don't use much now that I have it)
    -- in my opinion, and the reasons I don't still have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There were 3 versions of the F1, If it has a matte black finish it isn't an F1n, it's an F1N which is a New F1 a completely different camera, different shutter , different metering http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_F1 to the F1n which was an updated version of the original F1.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 01-03-2014 at 08:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Buy Leica.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Buy Leica.
    I'll buy Leica if you buy Toyota!

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Kubach; 01-03-2014 at 12:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    There were 3 versions of the F1, If it has a matte black finish it isn't an F1n, it's an F1N which is a New F1 a completely different camera, different shutter , different metering http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_F1 to the F1n which was an updated version of the original F1.
    Right! And as log as the TO has not specified which Canon F-1 model we are talking about (old F-1 resp. F-1n [from 1971-81] or New F-1, often referred to as F-1N [from 1981-92]) all discussion is quite useless, because we are comparing apples and oranges here.
    Canon FD &EF, Mamiya AF, Nikon, Pentax, Praktica, Minolta

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    F2: Heavier. F1n: Lighter
    Note, based on my own "seat of the palm" feeling the F1 has always felt heavier. Various specs online also confirm his: F1(n): 820g (or 795g if New F1), F2: 730g. I don't personally own an F-1, but a friend does and it's always felt like a solid brick of metal to me.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to own2 F2's, I now own 3 F1N-AE's, so you know which I prefer.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas.Goehler View Post
    Right! And as log as the TO has not specified which Canon F-1 model we are talking about (old F-1 resp. F-1n [from 1971-81] or New F-1, often referred to as F-1N [from 1981-92]) all discussion is quite useless, because we are comparing apples and oranges here.
    My original post should have been specific. I did say that the finish is the matte black finish but did not say that it was the "new" F-1. So I'll say it now: I have the "New" F-1

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin