Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,701   Online: 1062

Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 141819202122232425262728293034 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    Both cameras were massively over designed for the task they were required to do. Professional 35mm cameras took a wrong turn from the Leica (which I don't own) until the Olympus OM1 (which I did). Even Leica got caught up in the trend towards body mass with the M5 until they came to their senses. Having used a Nikon F in the 70s and 80s, I finally scratched the itch for an F2AS a few years back. As an object it evoked wonderful memories, as a 35mm camera it's slightly ridiculous considering it does the same job as my Olympus MjuII. I also use the Canon system and am much more likely to reach for an AV-1 than a T90. I just don't need that kind of Newtonian ballast to take a photograph. Maybe in a war zone.
    All I can say is that if you think a Nikon F2AS does the same job as an Olympus MjuII your photographic horizons must be very limited.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    All I can say is that if you think a Nikon F2AS does the same job as an Olympus MjuII your photographic horizons must be very limited.
    It certainly does the same job as an F2AS with a 35mm f2.8 lens, at a fraction of the weight and size. Both take sharp pictures on film and it would be difficult to tell them apart. The point is cameras lost all relationship to the size of a 35mm film cassette, which was after all invented as a miniature format. The current market for film cameras reflects their value as tools fairly accurately. Small and well made stuff holds up pretty well, big and heavy, not so much.
    Last edited by blockend; 08-05-2014 at 08:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It certainly does the same job as an F2AS with a 35mm f2.8 lens, at a fraction of the weight and size. Both take sharp pictures on film and it would be difficult to tell them apart. The point is cameras lost all relationship to the size of a 35mm film cassette, which was after all invented as a miniature format. The current market for film cameras reflects their value as tools fairly accurately. Small and well made stuff holds up pretty well, big and heavy, not so much.
    Are you trying to tell me and the majority of the members of this forum are misguided, and they should get rid of their high end pro quality equipment and buy plastic autofocus compact cameras like the Olympus Mju ?.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just posted for sell 2 Mju cameras in Classifieds - after wrong auto focus and ruining great pictures from last weekend - I decided that my "everyday just in case" camera will be nikon F65 with 50mm. Bigger than Mju, but still light and small enough, and with manual focus I am sure that I will get what I want.

Shooter
    35mm
    Are you trying to tell me and the majority of the members of this forum are misguided, and they should get rid of their high end pro quality equipment and buy plastic autofocus compact cameras like the Olympus Mju ?.
    That's a strawman of your making. I'm saying history has re-assigned value by different criteria to those of the time such cameras were produced. People rarely use Nikon F or Canon F-1 cameras in the professional conditions they were intended for. Take away the collector and nostalgic market of people buying their youthful desires, and I fail to see which practical niche such cameras fulfil, and I think the market agrees with me. An Olympus XA in good condition sells for as much as a professional autofocus SLR, for example, an XA4 probably goes for more. This is because lightweight cameras with good image quality fit the lifestyle and needs of more contemporary photographers than those who require heavyweight pro SLRs. It doesn't make them 'bad' cameras, but the argument is like saying which was the better rocket, Saturn or Soyuz? Time has passed the discussion by. Both were very well made, absurdly heavy if you needed to carry more than one plus lenses, and are unlikely to ever occupy an evolutionary gap again. Who would have ever thought pocket size Japanese fixed lens rangefinder cameras would sell for much more than their original cost, for everyday use, when SLRs trade for a fraction of it? Needs and desires change.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's a strawman of your making. I'm saying history has re-assigned value by different criteria to those of the time such cameras were produced. People rarely use Nikon F or Canon F-1 cameras in the professional conditions they were intended for. Take away the collector and nostalgic market of people buying their youthful desires, and I fail to see which practical niche such cameras fulfil, and I think the market agrees with me. An Olympus XA in good condition sells for as much as a professional autofocus SLR, for example, an XA4 probably goes for more. This is because lightweight cameras with good image quality fit the lifestyle and needs of more contemporary photographers than those who require heavyweight pro SLRs. It doesn't make them 'bad' cameras, but the argument is like saying which was the better rocket, Saturn or Soyuz? Time has passed the discussion by. Both were very well made, absurdly heavy if you needed to carry more than one plus lenses, and are unlikely to ever occupy an evolutionary gap again. Who would have ever thought pocket size Japanese fixed lens rangefinder cameras would sell for much more than their original cost, for everyday use, when SLRs trade for a fraction of it? Needs and desires change.
    All your argument proves if true is that the general public don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, and it isn't true Olympus XA's in good condition don't sell for anything like as much as Nikon F3's or Canon F1N-AE's, and who the hell is going to turn up to shoot a wedding or any other paying gig with an Olympus mju ?.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 08-06-2014 at 09:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    All your argument proves if true is that the general public don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.
    Given the amount of amateurs who insisted on carrying pro SLRs and all the gubbins that went with them in the 70s and 80s, just to look the part, I have to agree with you.

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    35mm
    You said:
    All your argument proves if true is that the general public don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, and it isn't true Olympus XA's in good condition don't sell for anything like as much as Nikon F3's or Canon F1N-AE's, and who the hell is going to turn up to shoot a wedding or any other paying gig with an Olympus mju ?.
    I said:
    An Olympus XA in good condition sells for as much as a professional autofocus SLR
    Spot the difference.

How many photographers are booked to shoot a wedding with a 35mm camera? I shot one three years ago in black and white at the bride groom's request, but I'd guess non-digital, non-medium/large format wedding photography is as rare as it gets.

Shooter
    35mm
    who the hell is going to turn up to shoot a wedding or any other paying gig with an Olympus mju ?.
    Terry Richardson might:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8i3VETLflk

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin