Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,336   Online: 824

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never owned on an f2, but I love my Canon F1n. I bought it in the 80s while I was in college. Ran over a thousand rolls with it and never had a problem. I think I might have to replace the light seals soon though. It's a hybrid camera with an electronic shutter and will work without a battery also. However, Nikon lenses focuses backwards
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    I like my F2S, but my F-1 is my old time favorite. The only drawback could be the use of the 1.34V batteries, but this can be remedied anyway. Of course Nikon's lenses have more of a compatible thing (in terms of quality, I'd rather Canon).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zanxion72 View Post
    I like my F2S, but my F-1 is my old time favorite. The only drawback could be the use of the 1.34V batteries, but this can be remedied anyway. Of course Nikon's lenses have more of a compatible thing (in terms of quality, I'd rather Canon).
    My only data point on lens comparison is the 50mm 1.4 that I own for each of these cameras. I prefer the Canon lens... so far. I know that the Canon focus' closer, but I don't know that it is sharper. it appears so in the ground glass, but that could simply be an artifact of the GG itself. Another question: Does the Nikon focus screen transmit a less sharp image from the lens than the Canon focus screen? I don't know. Ultimately, I will need to set up a focus target and then expose the same film type through each camera where the subject is the focus target. The human variable in this test is my own eye. Can I focus perfectly?

I can pick up a Canon 105 or 85mm equivalent to my Nikon lenses of the same focal length and add another point to my dataset. Has anyone else got both Canon and Nikon lenses in the same focal length? I know that Nikon has a reputation of making better glass, but is that borne out by actual APUG user experience?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Canon f1n battery

Quote Originally Posted by zanxion72 View Post
    I like my F2S, but my F-1 is my old time favorite. The only drawback could be the use of the 1.34V batteries, but this can be remedied anyway.
    Canon f1n take 4lr44 batteries which are doggie shock collar batteries. Cheap on eBay.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Canon f1n take 4lr44 batteries which are doggie shock collar batteries. Cheap on eBay.
    I can get them at my local grocery store too. Same battery is used by the A1 and the AE1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Now that's convenience

Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    I can get them at my local grocery store too. Same battery is used by the A1 and the AE1
    Pick up a gallon of milk with a 4lr44 battery.
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    The F-1 and F-1n take two PX625's. The F-1N, which is what you're referring to takes the PX28 aka the doggie shock collar batteries, just like the Nikkormat EL.

The more fair comparison is F3 vs F-1N. Both of those cameras are their contemporaries. The F2 Photomic is better compared with the original F-1 and F-1n. I have considered buying an F-1n (the second version F-1 with the plastic tip advance lever) and having it recalibrated to 3 volts, so I can use the Nikon F Photomic battery adapter sold by CameraWorks on eBay. Allows use of two PX76's or one CR 1/3N in a camera that uses two PX625 batteries. I'd pair that with a 50/1.4 SSC...

To the OP, you may want to check with Camera Clinic in Shoreline and with Kenmore Camera to see if they've either an 85 or a 100mm FD mount lens for you. Also, consider picking up a DP-12 for your F2. LED meter readout like a Nikon FM2. With respect to your F2 whining about HP5+, sounds like the camera needs to be serviced. To be expected, since it's already at least 34 years old (last F2 was made this month in 1980). Should be completely smooth in operation. No grittiness nor whining.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Nikon_F View Post
    The F-1 and F-1n take two PX625's. The F-1N, which is what you're referring to takes the PX28 aka the doggie shock collar batteries, just like the Nikkormat EL.

The original F-1 (self-timer version) takes one battery, not two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canon actually recommend for the New F1 a PX 28L Lithium battery, they last for years and are currently manufactured, and easily available a big advantage against the banned PX625 Mercury batterys all the other cameras mentioned were designed for, but although there are alternatives to the Mercury batterys few of them have the correct discharge characteristics to give correct exposures throughout the batterys life.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 01-04-2014 at 06:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elcabezagrande View Post
    The original F-1 (self-timer version) takes one battery, not two.
    I sit corrected.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin