Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,509   Posts: 1,543,562   Online: 1042

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    One big plus for Nikon is the lens mount design. I can use all the Nikon lens I own on any Nikon, including current digital bodies.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    WOW, COOL!

a classic "Canon/Nikon is better" thread....have not seen one of these in years.

I wanna play...but I've always been partial to the screw mount and early K-series Pentaxes.

Have fun.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Nikon_F View Post
    The F-1 and F-1n take two PX625's. The F-1N, which is what you're referring to takes the PX28 aka the doggie shock collar batteries, just like the Nikkormat EL.

The more fair comparison is F3 vs F-1N. Both of those cameras are their contemporaries. The F2 Photomic is better compared with the original F-1 and F-1n. I have considered buying an F-1n (the second version F-1 with the plastic tip advance lever) and having it recalibrated to 3 volts, so I can use the Nikon F Photomic battery adapter sold by CameraWorks on eBay. Allows use of two PX76's or one CR 1/3N in a camera that uses two PX625 batteries. I'd pair that with a 50/1.4 SSC...

To the OP, you may want to check with Camera Clinic in Shoreline and with Kenmore Camera to see if they've either an 85 or a 100mm FD mount lens for you. Also, consider picking up a DP-12 for your F2. LED meter readout like a Nikon FM2. With respect to your F2 whining about HP5+, sounds like the camera needs to be serviced. To be expected, since it's already at least 34 years old (last F2 was made this month in 1980). Should be completely smooth in operation. No grittiness nor whining.

-J
    I have an F3 hp to compare to the F-1N but I thought it more appropriate to compare Nikon's second pro camera (F2) against Canon's second pro camera. As it happens, the Nikon F1 was introduced about 12 years before the Canon F-1 so the two companies are were a bit out of sync. If I were to compare cameras from a common decade, then it would be F2 against F-1 and F3 against F-1N. Both comparisons are interesting for their own reasons.

I am also interested in why professional photographers preferred Nikon over Canon by a large margin. If guessing, I would say it was because of the 12 year jump Nikon had on Canon. But Canon made such a great entry into the pro marketplace with the F-1, I am still a little bit surprised by the lack of pro adoption. Thoughts?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    I am also interested in why professional photographers preferred Nikon over Canon by a large margin. If guessing, I would say it was because of the 12 year jump Nikon had on Canon. But Canon made such a great entry into the pro marketplace with the F-1, I am still a little bit surprised by the lack of pro adoption. Thoughts?

I think your guess is exactly correct. Nikon came first to market with a camera (and marketing campaign) aimed at working professionals. Canon were simply too late. Nikon was already too deeply entrenched and well established.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    WOW, COOL!

a classic "Canon/Nikon is better" thread....have not seen one of these in years.

I wanna play...but I've always been partial to the screw mount and early K-series Pentaxes.

Have fun.
    This debate was a perennial favorite in photo magazines of the '70s. It makes even less sense now than it did then.
    The answer now is "the one you like best", since not a single one of us will ever use these cameras and lenses as heavily as they were designed to be used. D@mn few did when they were current, nobody will now. Lens quality? yeah right. That one's been dead for decades too.
    With the preference many (most?) have for getting another body rather than having one serviced, I wonder how many of either of these cameras are functioning anywhere near factory spec. Probably not many.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    One big plus for Nikon is the lens mount design. I can use all the Nikon lens I own on any Nikon, including current digital bodies.
    That holds true for AI and later lenses only, pre AI lenses will damage the aperture coupling on many later bodies if yout try to mount them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    My only data point on lens comparison is the 50mm 1.4 that I own for each of these cameras. I prefer the Canon lens... so far. I know that the Canon focus' closer, but I don't know that it is sharper. it appears so in the ground glass, but that could simply be an artifact of the GG itself. Another question: Does the Nikon focus screen transmit a less sharp image from the lens than the Canon focus screen? I don't know. Ultimately, I will need to set up a focus target and then expose the same film type through each camera where the subject is the focus target. The human variable in this test is my own eye. Can I focus perfectly?
    I can pick up a Canon 105 or 85mm equivalent to my Nikon lenses of the same focal length and add another point to my dataset. Has anyone else got both Canon and Nikon lenses in the same focal length? I know that Nikon has a reputation of making better glass, but is that borne out by actual APUG user experience?
    Another variable is the relationship between lens/mirror/screen and lens/filmplane. If this isn't spot on you'll be testing nothing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When both the Canon F-1 and Nikon F2 were the new products, I had to choose. I liked The Canon because the metre was in the body

so you didn't lose it when changing viewfinders. But I liked the Nikon glass better. The F2 is still going strong.

/Clay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay2 View Post
    When both the Canon F-1 and Nikon F2 were the new products, I had to choose. I liked The Canon because the metre was in the body
    so you didn't lose it when changing viewfinders. But I liked the Nikon glass better. The F2 is still going strong.

/Clay
    Interesting. I like the fact that the F/F2 have no electronics in the body. Meter craps out? Just put another finder on, send the broken one to the repairman without tying up the entire camera.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    .....The answer now is "the one you like best", since not a single one of us will ever use these cameras and lenses as heavily as they were designed to be used.
    Learned this from my Mom. She worked as a newspaper journalist at a small rural paper and often photographed whatever (usually whoever) she was writing about. Toward the end of her career, she used a Pentax MG and a Canon sure shot....neither of which anybody would consider a "professional camera". She carried one or both of these with her virtually at all times and used them daily for years. I have both of them today. The canon is broken but, remarkably, the Pentax MG still works pretty well.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin