Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,967   Online: 1029

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The F-1n came out in 76 and the New F-1 in 81, the Nikon F2 came out in 71, so the F-1n/New had quite a bit of time to get "sophisticated."

I think the F-1 is a fine camera, but I don't own Canon FD gear, hence my use of Nikon and other systems. I think the F2 is probably close to the perfect camera, awesome build, etc. for that time and I'll use one any day of the week without a thought. It's probably more accurate to compare the F-1n and New F-1 to the Nikon F3, rather than the F2. Honestly though, why even put them into a comparison test?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All this discussion about which camera is better is kind of like orgasms. Even your worst is awesome.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is Funny.. I was just thinking of the F2 in last couple of days and saw this thread. What a gorgous camera. I love the robust chunky look to it. They are still fitching a pretty penny too on auction sites. Looks like they were built like tanks too. awesome!

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    The F-1n came out in 76 and the New F-1 in 81, the Nikon F2 came out in 71, so the F-1n/New had quite a bit of time to get "sophisticated."

I think the F-1 is a fine camera, but I don't own Canon FD gear, hence my use of Nikon and other systems. I think the F2 is probably close to the perfect camera, awesome build, etc. for that time and I'll use one any day of the week without a thought. It's probably more accurate to compare the F-1n and New F-1 to the Nikon F3, rather than the F2. Honestly though, why even put them into a comparison test?
    I agree the New Canon F1 is closer in specification to the Nikon F3 than the Nikon F2, which is closer to the original Canon F1.
    At the time these cameras were currently manufactured I worked at a leading professional camera dealer where about 90% of the customers were working pro's, and since I handled all the company's warranty and chargeable repairs I can tell you we got a hell of a lot more Nikon F3's to repair than New canon F1's especially under warranty.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    This is Funny.. I was just thinking of the F2 in last couple of days and saw this thread. What a gorgous camera. I love the robust chunky look to it. They are still fitching a pretty penny too on auction sites. Looks like they were built like tanks too. awesome!

Todd
    There are some very attractive deals on F2s at KEH. And here from time to time. You want an eye opener, look up what an F or F2 cost new and compare that to the cost of a new car at the same time. I love my F, I've had several. I'll have an F2 when the right one appears at the right time, not because I need one - I have two Nikkormats, an FT and an FTN, plus the F/FTN finder, plain prism as well - I just want one. And having an odd number of Nikons is bad juju.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    ... I can tell you we got a hell of a lot more Nikon F3's to repair than New canon F1's especially under warranty.
    Maybe, but F3 was sold a hell of lot more than F-1n

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've handled an F3 with a motor drive vs my F1n with a motor drive. To be honest, the F3 has better balance and feels good in the hand. Nikons still focuses backwards
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't care what you say Canon F-1 is still a great camera!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    I don't care what you say Canon F-1 is still a great camera!

Jeff
    I own 2. I've used Canon F1n when they first came out during the 80s. I love them.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I was working in 1981 I could have bought F3' s New cheaper than Canon New F1' s but I never liked them, I actually bought 2 Canon New F1' s
    with A.E. prisms that have been utterly reliable for the last thirty two years , I'm still using them, and bought a third one last year.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 01-09-2014 at 07:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin