Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,675   Online: 1165

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

advice needed-wife is ditching digital and going film

Hi all,

Just after a bit of advice. I've been shooting film for just over 2 years now while my wife has been shooting digital. She has a Canon 7th but is fed up with the whole digital work flow. She wants to sell her digital and get into film because she prefers the look of b&w film and would rather work in the darkroom.

I'm after advice on what kind of 35mm to look into getting her. I shoot entirely medium format so I have no clue on 35mm slr's.

She will be shooting mostly portraits on both colour and b&w, she tends to shoot with wide apertures, mostly in natural light and some flash, and she needs the available lenses to be sharp. She's not too bothered about auto focus but she would like built in metering and perhaps some exposure compensation etc. Being a digital shooter I don't just want to throw and entirely manual slr at her.

So any suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you guys have EF lenses, then I may recommend EOS film cameras that have good metering and auto-focusing capability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS

Please, scroll down to film cameras section.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I agree - it's an easy transition from a Canon 7D to ANY of the previous Canon EOS film SLR's. I have an EOS 500n, 50e & 1v, and really, they are all just supporting bodies of varying build quality for the lenses. When I bought the 500n 'new' in the 90's - I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread and ran 100's of rolls through it - you can get these on ebay for loose change now! If you only have EF-s lenses, then get a 50mm f/1.8 - it'll fit both your 7D and any EOS film camera, is only $150 new, wide aperture and SHARP.

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Agreed. If she already has a selection of EF lenses (not EFS), stick with Canon. Go for a recently made body and avoid the older 600 models - Quite a few of the older bodies are suffering from a Canon Wheeze. This is due to the light seals breaking down and gumming up the shutter blinds.

Rather than picking a random body from ebay, I'd recommend being able to give it a close look and exercise the shutter a few times before purchasing. Look for oily smears on the shutter blinds and reject anything that is even slightly suspect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In 35mm I'm a Nikon/Leica shooter but I strongly agree with the rest. Stay with Canon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Can I suggest an Olympus OM-4 Ti if she wants to ditch her Canon kit entirely. It has manual and aperture priority modes, muti-spot metering, off-the-film flash metering and very simple and intuitive controls. The body and lenses are compact and relatively light but with one of the biggest and brightest viewfinders ever in a 35mm SLR making focussing with the manual lenses very easy. They have a large range of excellent, sharp, high contrast lenses available with many focal lengths going to f:2. The 85mm f:2 is a superb portrait lens, slightly softer than most Olympus lenses with a lovely bokeh. I have found these cameras to be extremely reliable, the one thing to watch for being the foam seals becoming gooey on the older ones though it is pretty simple to replace these at home with a seal kit.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

Shooter
    35mm
    A wife in a million - one who sees the truth! Wish her good luck

Shooter
    35mm
    My advice to you is that your wife is a keeper.
    About the camera thing - I'm a dedicated Nikon man but I agree, keep the family in the Canon family. I makes sense.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    As others said, if you already have EF lenses, why not stick with those. Take a look at the Elan 7 family and the EOS 3. Both can be had very inexpensively (especially compared to the cost of a 7D).

Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    She's not interested in a relatively lightweight medium format system such as Bronica ETRSi 645? They have metered prisms available, as does Pentax 645.

Kent in SD

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin