Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,809   Online: 766

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Light meters

CHX

Shooter
    35mm
    I still use a Leningrad 4. Nice solid little thing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    just out of curiosity, what was a common type of light meter used in the 60's? I'm thinking a Weston or Norwood.
    I used a Weston but as a schoolboy it cost me a lot of Saturday work to earn enough to buy it. Prior to that the exposure guide that came in the box with the film...

RR

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a fairly extensive collection of meters, but whenever an external meter is required it is invariably the Zeiss Ikophot - the white bakelite (?) one in the brown leather case. Although these were made in the early 1950's it is still dead on accurate, covers a full range of typical light situations with no baffle or booster cell, and best of all requires no batteries.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Many Weston II meters were still in use through the 60s and beyond. I still use them in preference to the Norwood and various GEs.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I used a Weston III for a long time. Great meter. Lots of tiny numbers on its dial.

These days, my favorite is a Zeiss Ikon Ikophot T. It's a CdS and uses a 9-volt battery, which lasts a L-O-N-G time. It can do both reflective and incident metering. It's very accurate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I started with a Weston Master lll in the early 60's, went to a Ranger 9, bought another Master lll and used them all for years. The numbers are a bit small so I started using a Gossen Pilot recently and found another very cheap as a back-up. All were common in the 60's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm still using a Master III... but now that you mention it, the numbers on the dial seem to be getting smaller and smaller.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin