Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,750   Online: 899

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

On and Off Problem with an AF Zoom Nikkor

My 24-120mm AF Nikkor Zoom has an inconsistent problem on both of my F5s and my D200. When I mount it on any of the cameras it sometimes says FEE on the LCD. That means that it is not properly set at the minimum aperture. But it is. The aperture ring feels normal and does not in any way feel loose, and I have wiped off the contacts in the lens mount area down. So I think they are clean. It usually is fine when first mounted on the camera bodies but then the dreaded FEE appears. My other AF Zooms all work fine, but this is the lens I use most, so I guess it has the most use by a country mile. Is there a solvent, such as alchohol or whatever I could wipe in the contact bumps to maybe clean them better, or is there something else I should try or look for. Thanks, Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sure, simple rubbing alcohol will work. Use a Q-tip/cotton bud to apply/rub the contacts.

There are a couple of brushes that rotate when the lens is focusing, it may be dirty contacts there too.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    thanks will try that. Where are the brushes that rotate and what do they look like? Sorry to be so dumb, but have never had this sort of problem before. Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't been into an auto focus lens for years. Don't remember, but if you can get a look at a parts manual you may be OK.
    The brushes rotate with the focusing ring, the contacts are stationary. I remember they're not too deep but that's it.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin