Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,441   Online: 715

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Minolta SR-T101 that my buddy bought at the PX in Subic Bay Naval Base Philippines and used in Vietnam.
    It has seen a lot of history, wish it could talk.
    /Clay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wish the Nikon F that I bought over there could talk and tell me where it is. It got stolen about 5 years later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Nikon F Photomic T bought in 1965 in Japan was lost by me on a NYC Subway a few years later.. Along with the 50mm F1.4 and 135mm. I still have the downgraded Nikormat FTN with 50mm f/2.0 I bought in the USA to replace it. I think I have a Vivitar 70-210 zoom too. The 50 and 135 was a great pair though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    I wish the Nikon F that I bought over there could talk and tell me where it is. It got stolen about 5 years later.
    I have a beat to heck 2.8E Planar Rolleiflex I found back in the late 1990's in a small alley shop down some backwater in Beijing. It was covered in dust and probably had not been touched in years. I've had it fully CLA'd and it works great now. In fact I find it's lens has a wonderfully unique moderate contrast and personality vs my cleaner Rolleiflexes. I wish it could talk and share what it's been through, who owned it, what images it's captured, and how the heck it got to where I found it.

Sorry for the slightly OT post...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My buddy Dave Powell had several different cameras. Some called him Miranda Man, some called him Hollywood Six. I Have a couple of his cameras.
    http://www.hmm-364.org/warriors-web-...owell-d16.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay2 View Post
    I have a Minolta SR-T101 that my buddy bought at the PX in Subic Bay Naval Base Philippines and used in Vietnam.
    It has seen a lot of history, wish it could talk.
    /Clay
    LOL! I still have the 101 I bought at China Beach. It can't talk, but it still takes good pics!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    Over the weekend I watched a documentary on the Vietnam war and in a few scenes I saw some footage of a photographer carrying 2, maybe 3 Nikon F's. I couldn't make out the lenses because it was only for a brief second. I'm assuming one was a 50 f/2 or f/1.4 The other one was a but longer, maybe a 135mm or 200mm. But regardless what do you think the lens compliment would be for a photojournalist in Vietnam following the troops on patrol?
    Photographers will have carried a longer telephoto lens at times, but the terrain of much of the war, and the fact they were directly in the action, led to the greater significance of lenses in the 'long portrait' and wider bracket. And of course Robert Capa's words would still be ringing in photographers ears 'if your photographs aren't any good you aren't close enough'. Just look at images from the war printed in Life, the vast majority would made with be 50mm or wider lenses because they had the most impact.

There is a great book that I hesitate to recommend because I just looked up the price on Amazon, but if you can find a cheap copy it is 'Requiem-By The Photographers Who Died in Vietnam and Indochina', lots of pictures of camera's as a side bar to the serious intent of the book. If not that you can make do with Dennis Hopper as the photojournalist in the film Apocalypse Now', plenty of Nikon's on show.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Note on the above post: Dennis Hoppers character was a loose portrail of Tim Page, a very famous photographer of the Vietnam war.
    While I was there, I once bought a F T off of a press reporter who was hard up for cash that night out on the town. Cost me $50. I used it for several years and ended up trading it for a nice rifle.
    Another good photographer of that war was Sean Flynn, son of famous actor Errrol Flynn. He and another reporter were killed in Cambodia, never to be found. They were big users of 50mm lenses.
    Before acquiring the Nikon, I used a Spotmatic that I bought in a PX down in Nha Trang. It was around $100 new.
    Last edited by 2bits; 01-08-2014 at 04:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The classic set up was a Leica with a 35mm and a Nikon F with either a 105 or 200.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never met a photographer out in the field who bothered to carry 100 or 200mm lenses. Not to say that some didn't. Usually the bulky stuff stayed behind. Just my experience.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin