Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,303   Online: 1226

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Flynn and Dana Stone may have been found:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/36078623/n...s-asiapacific/

This was 2010, I can't find the update if any. Read Mike Herr's book,'Dispatches'.

/Clay

Shooter
    35mm
    I used a Miranda Sensorex with 50/1.9 and a borrowed 135, don't remember the speed, when I returned to the States I had a hard time finding lenses ans eventually traded it for a Nikkormat FTN that I still have.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolfe Tessem View Post
    The classic set up was a Leica with a 35mm and a Nikon F with either a 105 or 200.
    During the same era the non war photogs tended to use a Nikon F with 5cm /1.4 and motor drive the TV or cine guys sound man recorded the repeated chunk whirrs of the 36 frames of a dozen or more Fs during press attended interviews punctuation over speech on the TV news.
    Most also carried a rangefinder with fast 35mm eg Canon P or 7 and /2 or Leica M for in closer.
    Trix pushed as necessary
    Most worked on motor cycles to be quicker to the action and faster back to a dev/print shop and wire machine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Clay2,
    Great info on Flynn and Stone. Would be nice if there could be some closure on it.
    In my experience, even though some photogs ran around on motorbikes locally, most hitched rides on the nearest helicopter. It was much faster to get in and out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bits View Post
    Clay2,
    Great info on Flynn and Stone. Would be nice if there could be some closure on it.
    In my experience, even though some photogs ran around on motorbikes locally, most hitched rides on the nearest helicopter. It was much faster to get in and out.
    And some who wanted a different perspective rode along on APC's.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's a cool episode of quantum leap where a female photo journalist goes in with a nikon to document. Its a good watch. Not sure if its accurate at all though.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I dated a girl whose father was a photographer during the Vietnam War. In fact, I met her because she was shooting the F with a 50mm and I got curious. I ended up with a couple boxes of slides and scanned some before it became clear that not only was he in very difficult, violent, and dangerous situations, but also that he definitely did not want to see these images again.

Aside from the subject, I was impressed by the camera. She was still using it and it had a nasty ding in it from being dropped (according to him), while jumping into a copter taking off--it hitting the floor and nearly sliding out the other side.
    K.S. Klain

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bits View Post
    ... most hitched rides on the nearest helicopter.
    Not to imagine over here. There just were not helicopters "near by".

Shooter
    35mm
    The Navy and Air Force used Topcon cameras from '68 - '77. They were simple and rugged and had excellent optics. The Topcon Super D / Super DM were the last of line used by the Navy. They had a machined brass body and both a locking shutter and locking aperture. The military photographers were trained to keep them locked while not in use to prevent them from shaking apart during high vibration (which is inherent in just about any form of military transportation.) These cameras are so heavy and solid that they could probably be used as a weapon in a pinch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9348067474_a82ac54691.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	80099

But the military didn't just buy one brand. They used Speed Graflex 4x5 cameras well into the 80s - mostly for studio work. By the time Topcon ceased production of cameras, they had already transitioned to Nikons for general work. Both the Navy and Air Force used the Pentax 6x7s for reconnaissance photography (when not using pod mounted specialty cameras.) I've seen Vietnam era photos of military photographers using a Minolta HiMatic 7S, Yashica Mat-124, and various Polaroid Land cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We're actually talking about 2 types of photographers. Those in the military and those from news organizations covering the war. Perhaps a third, those in the military who were not assigned to photograph, but did so out of their own interest.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin