Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,334   Online: 839

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This apparently happened before they started giving IQ test to potential camera buyers. I'd probably give alcohol a try. Hmm, they may be how this started in the first place. <{:^) Bill Barber

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    This apparently happened before they started giving IQ test to potential camera buyers.
    I did not go through that test and that is why I take off the Japan Photographic Industries sticker off in most cases. Some collectors may blame me for that. So what?

I know a guy who blackened the Leica designation on his camera. Maybe there will be indefinite marks by that. He did it for the moment, not with sale in mind. Maybe he does not even want to sell it ever. After his death maybe a buyer might grumble. So what?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    It reminds me of the covering put over some logos on cameras brought back from Asia in the 70s. Customs required that because the official importer owned exclusive rights......
    I found one of those a few years ago, and it was covered in some type of paint that was slowly dissolved with naphtha without harming the original Nikon paint.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I take off the Japan Photographic Industries sticker off in most cases. Some collectors may blame me for that. So what?
    So do I. I don't want tacky looking shiny stickers on my stuff.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Not that it matters much, but what Tamron AD-2 lens came with it?

Shooter
    35mm
    Just use the camera and forget about resale value. I'd hang on to a deal like that and start the search for more FD mount glass if I didn't already have them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the replies guys! I probably won't sell it, it feels so nice in-hand it'll be my go-to SLR for a good time to come, I should think! The Tamron is a 28-50 f/3.5-4.5. It's an 07a, if that means anything to you... It's a great range, I shoot in that range an awful lot, but it's no good, sadly, the aperture's a bit sticky. Never mind - the 50 is fine! The hunt for more good FD glass has already started, I had to exert an inhuman amount of self-control not to walk out of my local camera shop £400 lighter and an 85 1.2L heavier!

I'd love to go nuts with a load of paint stripper and a paint stick, but it really doesn't look like it's stamped, as far as I can see it's just a heavy-duty transfer, the paint is raised on the lettering, not sunken... I'll take it to an art shop and see if they can identify the paint type and recommend something for me. I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers!
    I'm a strong believer in the phrase, "The best camera in the world is the one you have on you at the time." I just try and have a good one on me all the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try something easy and non-invasive first. How about heating the paint with a hair dryer to soften then goo then gently scrape it off with a plastic stick?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I looked at photos on the net of both, old and new, F1 In both cases the olympics designation seems to be flat. With the old model even in different colour. In both cases most probably printed on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I looked at photos on the net of both, old and new, F1 In both cases the olympics designation seems to be flat. With the old model even in different colour. In both cases most probably printed on.
    I looked too. I haven't seen one since probably the summer of '80, but I'm pretty sure the logo was stamped into the metal. Memory being what it is, it may have been raised that is screened on. But I still vote for stamped. Looking at the OP's photo, I cannot convince myself of either.
    BTW I worked for the LPOOC in 1979 & 1980, I saw more than a few of these cameras.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin