Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,843   Online: 797

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elcabezagrande View Post
    You might try heat, like from a blow drier, before you try any solvents. It may soften it up enough for you to be able to peel it right off.
    I second that notion. To me, it looks like the previous owner painted it with nail polish/varnish. Makes me wonder though, did that logo really make the body into an ugly duckling? Oh, and if it does turn out to be varnish, by all means DO NOT use acetone to remove it or you'll strip it down to the metal. Learned that the hard way!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Be bold. If you mess up the camera's finish, you get to learn how to take off the top, do your own CLA, and re-paint it. You can then use one of these markers to re-do the lettering.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rapidograph-pen-025-mm-.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	79918

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Be sure to look closely at all the cheapie p&s's, I once found a Yashica T-4 in usable condition for $2.00 at a local Goodwill.

Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    Great find! All they have in my thrift stores are those lousy little plastic P&S cameras. If the paint over the logo is enamel you may be able to remove it w/ very carefully applied paint thinner. If the paint that covers the logo is lacquer, then lacquer thinner will work, or maybe even paint thinner. If the paint over the label is acrylic, you can try some of the stuff below. If the camera is painted originally w/ lacquer you will be in danger zone trying to remove lacquer from lacquer, so try the paint thinner first. Is the logo a paper/plastic decal or painted on? That's the thing you need to find out. Be very careful w/ lacquer thinner. I'd try denatured alcohol first maybe, and go from there.

http://jbosh1972.hubpages.com/hub/va...-acrylic-paint

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did the best I could! I decided not to use chemicals for the risk of taking the whole decal with the paint, so I spent a couple of hours straining my eyes with a needle. The paint still chipped off and took some of the decal with it which is a great shame, but you still know what it is when you see it! It isn't stamped into the metal, unfortunately, otherwise I'd have filled it along with the F-1 stamping as well. The F-1 looks much better now... Sitting pretty with the rest of the collection at the moment! Again, many thanks for the comments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0010[1].jpg   DSC_0009[1].jpg  
    Last edited by OliMonster; 01-10-2014 at 02:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I'm a strong believer in the phrase, "The best camera in the world is the one you have on you at the time." I just try and have a good one on me all the time.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm surprised by the result!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I was offered one of these for free (in worse condition) from a guy at work last year and passed on it. I know they are worth money, but I'd rather quit photography then shoot Canon. I told him to put it on eBay, I'm not sure if he did or just tossed it in the trash.

Great Find!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I dunno Shootar, I started with an AE-1, and that's more or less all I ever shot with for a couple of years. Without wishing to start a CanoNikon debate, I got myself into Nikon when I got into dSLRs because all the glass I had was FD so it wouldn't work on either system, and I think Canon seriously dropped the ball when they went digital in terms of how to control their bodies. Started out with a D5000 as a hobby, ended up with a D700 earning me some half-decent money... That said, I see very little difference between most 35mm systems, so I'm happy to shoot with pretty much anything that has detachable lenses and isn't a pinhole, hence the collection... If someone offered me an F3 and a nifty fifty when I was shooting what's left of my old AE-1, I'd have taken it! The F-1's a lovely camera in hand, it just feels right! I've never touched a Nikon of the same calibre to compare it to, but still, it just feels beautiful, and having heard what people say about pro-level Nikons, Canons, Minoltas, Pentaxes, Olympuses etc. etc., I'd be happy to just give it a go!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin