Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,485   Online: 1006

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    The Cosina made SLR sold under the Vivitar and other names are not half bad when they are working. Put on a nice 55/1.8 SMC Pentax lens and you are set. Even the 35-70 lenses sold with the cameras are OK to use in bright light. I have a number of Nikon N2020s. If I can remember all of them there are six with one needing repair. As AF cameras they leave a lot to be desired but as manual focus cameras with the focus confirmation they are very nice to use. By now the N90S/F90X model costs so little that I would get another one of those before getting another N2020. I did get my first N2000 a few months ago and it's nice to use too if you don't need interchangeable screens. I already had the 35-105/3.5 Canon New FD when I got a later f/3.5-4.5 model. To my surprise the slower lens is quite good too. It's just nore sensitive to flare in difficult light. I added another f/3.5-4.5 so I can keep it with another FD body. One of my collections is of Minolta Celtic lenses. The last 35/2.8 is more compact and I first got it for that reason. Then I found the same lens with the Rokkor marking. They are both gems. Now I have several of the Celtics and one or two of the Rokkors. The last oddball item I will share is the 135/2.8 which is marked Promaster and Star D (and who knows what else). The focusing ring rotates almost 360 degrees and stops at a marked 1:5 magification. I have the Star D in Konca AR mount and two Promasters in Pentax mount. I use the Promasters mostly on a Pentax K-x DSLR. They are sharp and have the field of view of a 200 (approx.) wi the f/2.8 speed. They also get close.

Shooter
    35mm
    By chance, is the trumpet just off the Strand?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickth View Post
    I bought a Minolta Dimage A2 for under $100 for kicks and got so I liked to keep it in the car just in case I needed a backup.
    But PLEASE, not in the glove compartment. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Subaru wagon. Its in the "tool bin" in the back. Very handy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first slr was a Rebel X (no flash) with the kit lens, and while I did have feelings of inadequacy when out shooting popular subjects and surrounded by far superior (and more expensive) hardware, the images weren't bad at all. I knew nothing of bokeh at the time, so that didn't concern me.

I was invited to bring it to a friend's wedding to do candid shots, and while my images were nothing like the pro's Bronnie, they did bring a lot of enjoyment later. I was the guy who got the bride's expression after the pro photographer told them they could relax... priceless.

I still have the old Rebel, and as my daughter was expressing an interest in film photography (she's seven, and the kite wielder in one of my gallery shots), I'm considering letting her give it a go.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nikon N2000 - bottom of the totem pole, but handles nicely, and I like the light up LED shutter speed indicator
    Hate how mine refuses to click (occasionally the motor thinks its the end of the roll and refuses to advance)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My favourite 35mm SLR is my OM-40. I picked up a pair of OM10s with manual adapters and a fist full of lenses for $40. All are fantastic imo. The single digit OMs get a lot of love, but the double digits don't.

I've got a plastic-bodied Ricoh 50mm f2 (nearly pancake) that is just plain nice to use.

There are plenty of nice consumer-grade gear out there that is considered worthless because the old high end stuff is so cheap now.

Four rolls of Ektar plus developing cost more than I paid for my OM40 sporting the kit lens.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_mudohwNBl31rwruaho1_1280.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	80263

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKrull View Post
    My favourite 35mm SLR is my OM-40. I picked up a pair of OM10s with manual adapters and a fist full of lenses for $40. All are fantastic imo. The single digit OMs get a lot of love, but the double digits don't.

I've got a plastic-bodied Ricoh 50mm f2 (nearly pancake) that is just plain nice to use.

There are plenty of nice consumer-grade gear out there that is considered worthless because the old high end stuff is so cheap now.

Four rolls of Ektar plus developing cost more than I paid for my OM40 sporting the kit lens.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_mudohwNBl31rwruaho1_1280.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	80263
    Very nice. I knew a gal who swore by her OM10, I couldn't even get her to try my "modern" Rebel X. Can't argue with her results, though. Many of her photos were pretty awesome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    It was a cheap Canon Rebel XS w/ the kit EF 35 80 zoom lens, otherwise known as one of the worst lenses in photography.
    I had this exact set up in the early 90s. Took a lot of great photos with it on vacations, holidays, etc. At f8, the lens is pretty much the same as every other.

Shooter
    35mm
    I had a Minolta XG-1 my father handed me down 8 years ago with a 45mm f2 blew away my xti & kit at the time. Then I got a Minolta 35-70mm f3.5 for $20 the one shared with leica I was wondering why that lens was so good colors sharpness was excellent.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin