Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,314   Posts: 1,536,689   Online: 903

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

When Lousy Gear Turns Out Better Than You Expected

Years ago I upgraded my wife's 35mm P&S to a 35mm SLR. It was a cheap Canon Rebel XS w/ the kit EF 35 80 zoom lens, otherwise known as one of the worst lenses in photography. No kidding, people seemed to hate that thing. I figured it would work fine for my wife. It was small, the camera had auto focus...what could go wrong? A lot, apparently. She hated it. Said it was too big and heavy (my day rig was a Nikon F4 w/ an 80 200 2.8 lens hung on it, so I was mystified by this). It made it through one roll of film before I sold it to make her happy.

Every now and then I look at the photos from it and think "that lens wasn't so bad". True, bokeh was nonexistent due to the zoom's slowness, but I thought the IQ was pretty good. These are prints that I made from that one excursion, and you can probably tell who had the winning horse that day :]

Anyone else had crap gear that turned out to be pretty good?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small 2 Mean Linda in B&W Ver5.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	474.0 KB 
ID:	79920

Name:	small 2 B&W76773-R1-04-20A.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	435.3 KB 
ID:	79921

Name:	small 2Trumpet in B&W.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	473.1 KB 
ID:	79922

Shooter
    Multi Format
    even crappy lenses made today are computer calculated and, usually, pretty good, although one wonders how well the cheap ones hold up -- plastic mounts may not keep elements aligned after a few bumps.

I'm almost sorry to admit how many really good shots I get with Holgas.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought a Minolta Dimage A2 for under $100 for kicks and got so I liked to keep it in the car just in case I needed a backup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0323.JPG  

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Minolta Qtsi with the 35-80mm kit lens. About $25 for a decent enough intro to autofocus SLR cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Nikon F401 with a cheap Nikon zoom (28-80?) bought as an "introduction to autofocus" (!) package way back in 1988 (?). Absolutely shockingly slow and hesitant AF performance. This camera garnered more criticism and derision than the squeaky chain and squealing brakes on my bike! But...the el cheapo lens did focus accurately (eventually), delivered reasonably sharp images (on Kodachrome 200) and satisfied, for a while, my need for a lightweight workable camera during my bicycle touring travels. I eventually got jack of it, giving it to my neighbour who was a student in secondary school art class at the time. I moved systems to the Canon T90 (with the very handy FD 35-105mm), and another era began (I still use Canon).
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought a Kiev 60 because I wanted a "small" 6x6 and it seemed like a cool system. I wasn't familiar with any lenses, so i just found one on ebay with a lens. I've been pleasantly surprised by the Vega 90mm 2.8 that it came with. Love the colors it produces on Ektar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Yashica Minster D my wife bought at a yard sale ($1.00), meter works and the 45mm f/2.8 lens is very sharp. When I want to play "60's tourist" this is the camera I hang around my neck.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm. A Nikon N2020 with Nikon's 35-70 zoom. Just superb, both of them! If I didn't already have a bag full of Minolta gear... There was the Yashica Electro from an estate auction for $3. Just an excellent camera and lens. But my favorite (at the moment) is the Petri E.Bn rangefinder from the bottom of a box of "stuff" my wife paid $1 for at an auction. Most fun since film started coming in rolls!

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Large Format
    Eastar TLR. It feels like a toy, but that lens is sharp!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    Hmm. But my favorite (at the moment) is the Petri E.Bn rangefinder from the bottom of a box of "stuff" my wife paid $1 for at an auction. Most fun since film started coming in rolls!

Mike
    I love my Petri F 1.9

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin