Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,902   Online: 1073

Shooter
    Multi Format

Leitz Thambar 9cm

Hi all,

I was looking some photos on web made with Leitz Thambar lens, and specially with this special filter with black dot in the center. Very crazy and unusual.
    What I don't understand is how this filter works. Can this filter effect be done with other lenses (for example I modify one 52mm filter for nikon lens)?

Considering high price of this lens, and also relative simple design - I am wondering how difficult would be in general to make some lens at home (without f stops, just simple wide open lens, without mount, to be used on large format camera or Rollei SL66)? Is there a shop where one can buy lens glass elements with different spherical curves?

thanks,

Shooter
    35mm
    Edmund Scientifics used to sell acromats, seconds and salvage, of various focal lengths. If you are good at cobbeling things together you could mount something like that up as a soft portrait lens. Sharp in the center, resolution falling off toward the edges. I've used a single element +10 (100mm) close up lens as a soft focus lens. Wide open it was pretty much mush if you know what I mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    People selling lens cells fairly frequently over on the Large Format forum
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can also try Surplus Shed.com.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    What I don't understand is how this filter works. Can this filter effect be done with other lenses (for example I modify one 52mm filter for nikon lens)?
    This lens was designed with some uncorrected aberrations still present. The "filter" forces only the circumference of the lens to form the image. In doing so it enhances the aberrations and therefore the softness of the image. I seriously doubt that you can attain the same effect with an ordinary lens. You can try the old trick of putting Vaseline on an skylight filter in various patterns as a substitute. Use a cheap filter as you will never be able to get all of the Vaseline off.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for replays. I have one cheap 52mm filter that I can waste, will give it a try .

regards,

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin