Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,601   Online: 1100

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    No point. Just trying to figure out if I should buy a film body or sell the lens. I have not shot a frame with it for 4 years.
    Trade me!! lol :-p

I would probably use this more than anything if I had one. But I shoot a lot of models, if you're just using it for landscape or city work, I can see why you wouldn't use it.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No point. Just trying to figure out if I should buy a film body or sell the lens. I have not shot a frame with it for 4 years.
    Well, if you can afford the 85L, then sure as heck you can afford a used EOS film body. Get an EOS 3 or EOS 5 or whatever, and just use the darn thing. I use Nikon for both film and digital. The 85/1.4 D that I have is a truly nice lens, but I've heard opinions that the Canon is even better, so just go for it. What are you waiting for? And BTW, you should by now know that you shoot film for reasons other than extracting the most a lens can offer. If you shoot film because you like film, then there is no reason not to do so using the lenses that you like.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you decide one day you want to go out and shoot some film, and you have one of Canon's best lenses lying around, why wouldn't you use it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyMac View Post
    If you decide one day you want to go out and shoot some film, and you have one of Canon's best lenses lying around, why wouldn't you use it?
    I dont use it because I have never shot any film on an EOS body, nor do I even own one. All my Canon lenses (6) were from my digital era usage. I'm selling off most of them now and feel strong regrets at the idea of selling my 85L. I shoot 90% medium format film and have not really gotten attached to 35mm film. So I'm conflicted about what to do with this lens. I have a Nikon FM2 and 85mm f/2 AIS lens. Would the Canon 85L be THAT much better than this gear?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I dont use it because I have never shot any film on an EOS body, nor do I even own one. All my Canon lenses (6) were from my digital era usage. I'm selling off most of them now and feel strong regrets at the idea of selling my 85L. I shoot 90% medium format film and have not really gotten attached to 35mm film. So I'm conflicted about what to do with this lens. I have a Nikon FM2 and 85mm f/2 AIS lens. Would the Canon 85L be THAT much better than this gear?
    I'm a canon user and canon fan...

That said, you won't notice much difference with film between those two lenses except the auto focus ability in low light will be slightly better with the wider aperture and focus will probably be "slightly" faster with the Canon. But it's not worth fretting over.

Sell the Canon lens and keep the Nikon gear. No need to own two film SLR systems that aren't interchangeable, much more valuable to have 2 of the same systems... (Like 2 nikons with different lenses on them, or one as a backup for important events).

If you were using digital I would say stick with Canon.

But unless you are shooting with PanF+ and using a drum scanner or printing with an enlarger and printing larger than 8x10, there's no reason to use one over the other, they are both good enough.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would suggest testing them side by side on comparable full-frame digital or film bodies (if a buddy can help you out with something). The Nikkor is a decent lens, but the Canon is in a different league. That said, it depends on how you would use it. If you shoot everything at f/4 and beyond, then frankly you should sell the Canon and keep the Nikon. If you prefer small and light, likewise. As I said earlier, the AF Nikkor 85/1.4D is a darned fine lens, too. Maybe you could sell the Canon and get a faster Nikkor - either MF or AF versions would be great, plus you'll have spare cash left over. Or maybe a Zeiss 85 ZF. If you don't use something, what's the point in having it? It simply depreciates while gathering dust and going tacky on all the rubbers etc. Regrets? You can always buy another one if you want. They'll be around for a while yet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What's your medium format system? The money from an 85L could get you some very nice glass - maybe a hassy 110/2, or mamiya apo (or two in RZ land)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I'm a canon user and canon fan...

That said, you won't notice much difference with film between those two lenses except the auto focus ability in low light will be slightly better with the wider aperture and focus will probably be "slightly" faster with the Canon. But it's not worth fretting over.
    Pretty sure no other SLR AF lens focuses slower than the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L!

OP: Not putting that lens on a EOS film camera is such a shame. It's a better performer on film than digital (IMO).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc View Post
    Pretty sure no other SLR AF lens focuses slower than the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L!

OP: Not putting that lens on a EOS film camera is such a shame. It's a better performer on film than digital (IMO).
    How is an L series lens like that SLOW?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's slow for a reason - f/1.2 demands precision for accurate focusing.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin