Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,928   Posts: 1,522,164   Online: 1026

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Canon 85L (EF model)

Anyone here shoot film using a Canon 85L lens? I have one of these sitting at home unused along with the rest of my Canon EOS digital gear. I'm wondering how well this lens would be using 35mm film. I have a Nikon SLR for when I shoot 35mm film so have no gear to test or use my 85L lens.

Anyone here using this lens regularly on a film camera? Which Canon models are best for it. Do you think 35mm film captures all that the 85L can offer?

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    I would say it depends on the film, but really, its got more to do with the user unless you are popping controlled shots of test grids and comparing it to a 6D or whatever.
    Why not buy a cheap 35mm Eos camera and try it out. I am pretty sure you can get one for $10 off the bay.

Sorry to say that I cant actually address your question, but I think my answer would hold up to the same question regarding any lens.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't understand the point of the question. You have a fantastic lens. Will it work well with film? Yes. What body will it work best with? Probably the best body you can find. Does 35mm capture all the lens can offer? No, but if you wanted the most the lens could offer you'd stick to digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, if my questions arent clear, I'd just be happy to see how folks use this lens with film cameras then.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, I found that the 85mm f/1.8 non-L lens was really nice to work with on both a Canon ELAN 7e and a Canon ELAN IIe (one with Ektar, and the other with TMY-2).

So the L series versions are probably excellent as well.

And Ektar or TMX will each probably do a fine job putting your lens through its paces.

E100G would have done so as well.

EDIT: IIRC, this was shot using Ektar and the 85mm f/1.8 that I rented to try it out:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 85mm and the gate.jpg  
    Last edited by MattKing; 02-02-2014 at 10:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I agree, the question seems odd.

The lens is a canon L series lens, it's a prime, what more can you ask for? If you don't want it I'll trade you for my 50mm EF 1.4 EOS lens... That's been tested as sharper than the 1.2 50mm L but I prefer an old EOS 50mm 2.5 lens with no USM because it's a macro. But could surely utilize an 85mm more than having a spare 50mm. I know your question isn't about selling or trading it, but if it's unused, what's the point?
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Anyone here shoot film using a Canon 85L lens? I have one of these sitting at home unused along with the rest of my Canon EOS digital gear. I'm wondering how well this lens would be using 35mm film. I have a Nikon SLR for when I shoot 35mm film so have no gear to test or use my 85L lens.

Anyone here using this lens regularly on a film camera? Which Canon models are best for it. Do you think 35mm film captures all that the 85L can offer?

Thanks!

LOL! You can bet your chopsticks the 85mm f1.2 is a cracker!! Canon spent 6 years cooking up that lens before releasing two prototypes then the final.
    What seems to be the problem that it is "sitting at home unused along with the rest..."?? And why have a Canon 85L but no Canon body??
    Considering it's cost and stellar performance, I would have thought you'd have taken it on more than a handful of outings.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    LOL! You can bet your chopsticks the 85mm f1.2 is a cracker!! Canon spent 6 years cooking up that lens before releasing two prototypes then the final.
    What seems to be the problem that it is "sitting at home unused along with the rest..."?? And why have a Canon 85L but no Canon body??
    Considering it's cost and stellar performance, I would have thought you'd have taken it on more than a handful of outings.
    He has digital gear just not a film camera...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    He has digital gear just not a film camera...
    Yep. My Canon gear is all digital. I have never shot film with my 85L.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I agree, the question seems odd.

The lens is a canon L series lens, it's a prime, what more can you ask for? If you don't want it I'll trade you for my 50mm EF 1.4 EOS lens... That's been tested as sharper than the 1.2 50mm L but I prefer an old EOS 50mm 2.5 lens with no USM because it's a macro. But could surely utilize an 85mm more than having a spare 50mm. I know your question isn't about selling or trading it, but if it's unused, what's the point?
    No point. Just trying to figure out if I should buy a film body or sell the lens. I have not shot a frame with it for 4 years.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin